Seed photos needed

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

This year I am trying to do more seed saving and starting. Sometimes it is hard to know what is a seed or seed pod. I have looked a lot in PlantFiles, but there are often dozens of flower photos, but no photos of seed pods (immature and mature) and seeds.
Call to action for you gardeners with cameras!
I will try to do some photos of seeds and pods and upload them. In general, some kind of scale is helpful, like a dime or nickel next to the seeds.

Thumbnail by Pistil
(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

I think this is a great idea. I have very few seeds to photograph yet, and I only have my camera on my phone, but I will be happy to do what I can.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

It's a great idea. I wish more would see this post and comment. 27 views, one comment.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I think it's a great idea too, unfortunately the best camera I own is on my phone. You need the ability to take macro shots. I can try a few, they may be better than none that can be replaced when better shots are produced. I imagine the number of views coincides with the same number of camera phone owners.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe you can look up the plant in plant file & Add the seeds & Or seed pods for that plant I'm sure it just might help others to Id them .
maybe ask admin if it is possible . Just my 2 cents :)

Oh yes deejay this is exactly how the photos in PlantFiles work- If you have a good photo, you can upload it into the entry!
This whole database is from us the users. So what I am hoping for is for people who like to take photos to take seed and pod photos, and put them in there so others can see. I think for seed savers it would be especially useful.

Here are some photos I just took with my cell phone. iPhone 5s.
So they are ok even without a macro lens! You can see I tried a few with flash. But just turning on all the lights in the kitchen worked fine and less shiny reflection too. The penny had less reflection than the dime. One interesting thing- the iPhone found the face on the coin and focused on it!
Anyway this means we could all contribute in the dark gloomy days of winter. Dig out the seeds and upload a few photos.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Very helpful, Pistil.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

iphone is an amazing camera, just not as good as a macro. I will help but know I would prefer my substandard photos should/would always replaced with better quality ones as they come along.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.