Need Florida ID help

Tampa, FL

Hello,

I placed a feeder in my back yard a few weeks ago, and have been seeing a variety of birds. Some I can easily ID such as (male and female) cardinals and bluejays, but some I have no idea. Here are two I'm hoping to ID. On the image with two birds, the bird on the left is the one I'm wondering about. I see other birds that look similar to this as well, one with a redish tone. The black bird, I tried identifying but I don't see a bird that looks exactly the same. Maybe it's a juvenile version of a larger bird? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John

Thumbnail by johnfla Thumbnail by johnfla
(Zone 5a)

The bird on the left looks like a House Finch, but the bill seems thin. Depending on their diet, the males could be red, orange or sometimes yellow.
http://feederwatch.org/learn/unusual-birds/#yellow-house-finches

Hopefully another will confirm or correct the House Finch. :)

The blackbird looks like a Shiny Cowbird.

Tampa, FL

Yes I was thinking Finch since they are very common I think. Here is a picture of the "redish" version of the same type of bird. I think you are correct with the black bird too. Looking at pictures of Shiny Cowbirds, that one looks exactly the same. Thanks for taking a look for me!

Thumbnail by johnfla
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Chillybean. Yep, the first one is a 'yellow variant' House Finch; the bill 'looks' slender because it has a seed in its bill, sticking out and making it look longer than it acutally is.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.