Strawberry Tree in bloom

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice shrub, I think this is probably Arbutus unedo (not labeled but nearby similar one was), this one has no fruit yet, but I like how they bloom in the fall, and have an evergreen lushness all year round. They seem to grow very slowly, but eventually become a tree.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh nooo, it's outta my zone.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I feel your pain, Mipii. I am in zone 6a now, and have killed a lot of plants that just aren't hardy enough for here - Ceanothus, Dierama, etc. Also I have killed a lot of plants that don't appreciate 60" of rain per year, or early thaws followed by freezes, for example, Callicarpa and Wisteria!!

I am about to move to a zone that the Arbutus unedo can grow in, going from a 6a-ish to an 8a or 8b. I'll definitely be trying one. They have these great leathery leaves, and I love the flowers and the fruits.

I don't think I can swing the one I really want: Arbutus menziesii. http://www.polkswcd.org/events/native-plant-sale-2/plant-avaliability/pacific-madrone-arbutus-menziesii/
I'm hoping the related Arbutus unedo can be my consolation prize.

If it looks exotic to me, it doesn't grow in my zone. Your zone envy will luckily be short lived, you'll be swimming in exotics soon...congrats. A move like that sounds like an awful lot of fun. Your Arbutus menziesii is a beauty too.

Arbutus unedo is a great consolation prize! I do get ducks though...that's my consolation.

Ducks, as in quack? That would be great!

Actually, I think they're Geese. In Pistil's photo's she gave us a nice pic of some wildlife to look at , pic #4. Lol...sorry Momlady for that sudden left turn on ya.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Canada Geese in the pic above ;-)

Resin

Thanks Resin, you can correct me or expound on anything I say. It's always such a treat to learn more. I can only hope it's enjoyable for you to teach.

I agree with Mipii!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.