Suggestions for flowering perennials

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi folks I am looking for flowering perennials that can take the heat and sun of the Phoenix area.
My backyard faces south so it is in full sun most of the day. What has survived are roses, iris and daylily.
Any suggestions for others that can live and thrive in this environment ? Oh yes I do have a clematis that seems ok but has not flowered. Just a few burned leaves.
I hate to think how much I have spent on plants that have just burned up.
Dee

Gilbert, AZ

What size plants do you want, Dee? Bushes, ground cover, small stuff? Kudos for keeping the clemantis and roses alive!

Probably not bushes as I already have 3 roses in my garden. Pretty much anything else. I think I can handle various heights.

Gold Canyon, AZ(Zone 9a)

IndianSuperstition mallow does well, reseeds itself, and blooms almost year round. The bees love it.

Gilbert, AZ

Hmmm...that's kind of hard. Most of the things I've been thinking of are pretty, but don't have a real distinctive flower: artemesia, rosemary, purple heart, yellow dots. The Indian Superstition mallow is nice - it has the softest leaves! You've always got lots of varieties of lantana if it's just color you're after. They get kind of ratty looking in the winter, depending on how cold it gets, but then a lot of the plants that look their best in the summer don't tend to look their best in the winter here! Are you interested in vines, too?

Yes vines will work

Gilbert, AZ

Some choices for vines: hardenbergia, queen's wreath (sometimes called a coral vine), and snail vine grow well here. Don't be tempted by a cat claw vine - although it grows fast it becomes invasive. Some varieties of jasmine grow well here - the arabian jasmine is a bush, but the star jasmine is a vine.

What kind of area are you looking to landscape?

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

If you want humming birds the Salvia Hot Lips does very well, I have a south facing backyard and I have the Salvia in the SW part of the yard and it does beautiful. It has bloomed non stop fall, winter, spring and summer...there is a picture of it attached and it is in bloom now.

Thumbnail by cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hello, Gazania does very well here and is very easy from seed here are a couple in my garden and they seed but are not invasive, very easy to pull out if they go where you do not want them.

Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno Thumbnail by cocoajuno
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

bump due to time stamp issues

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi again, Canna lily, Gaillardia Arizona Sun if it gets a little shade in the afternoon from a tree or shrub, I am trying Dahlia this year I will let you know how that goes, lavender, guara, my snapdragons always come back in my south facing garden as does my alyssum, amaryillis, I am sure I will see more when I go out today.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

any and every kind of emu bush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.