Arum of Italy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've planted a few of these attractive plants in my shade garden for many years, they've seldom bloomed. I'm digging them up this autumn, and contemplating moving it to a sunnier flower bed. Have you had good experience with planting these? If so, please share your idea.

Thanks in advance.
Gardener from Al.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/40908/

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Though the foliage is attractive and the autumn berries are striking, I have been on a campaign of trying to remove them from my yard. As typical, I was too slow to recognize their reseeding all over the place. The clumps quickly enlarge to take over more docile neighbors. And a large clump is very difficult to try to dig out. Maybe they just love the conditions in my yard, but I find the plant is way too rambunctious for me. As for blooms, they do bloom, but I don't think the blooms are anything special; foliage and berries are the more striking features of the plant to me. Hope the info helps.

Edited to add that they tend to grow most robustly in moist shade in my yard.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2015 9:57 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank Weerobin, for your thought. I've seen a gentleman in my neighborhood growing these lovely plants, no complaint heard from him. Our growing condition is quite different though, he has a lot more boggy area in the shade, where these plant flourish? Mine is too deep a shade, but not as wet an area, thus they don't flourish quite as well?

I'm digging up many a crinums 'Milk and Wine' and intend to move them into a sunny area, I was wondering if I can move these Italy Arum bulbs with them? This new flower bed will be in full sun, well drainage area (to encourage the crinums to bloom).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I have had one in my yard for years and it has never reseeded. I guess I should be thankful, but I would like a couple more.

Thumbnail by weeding
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks weeding, I'm not worry about their "invasiveness". It seems easy enough to pick the red berries-like seeds when ripe if we're concern about birds, other wildlife spreading them. Our climate is about the same, yours and mine. Do you have yours in a sunny location? I see that you've a "flower" there. I've never seen a flower of these arum in person. They look neat!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

My Arum is in full shade.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Interesting, I will need to do more research on what make these lovely plant "tick" in my garden. lol Thanks for sharing your experience.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree with Weerobin. I can't get rid of them no matter how much I dig them up or cut all above ground growth off. They have over run an area that I would like to have native ephemerals.

They are growing in shade to partial shade in a very dry area with little supplemental watering.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very interesting, it appears that they thrive in cooler temp.? Down here they don't seem to be that prolific sempervirens.
Thanks.

I'm in a warmer climate than you are Lily_love. I am zone in 8a.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, @weeding. That's exactly my observation. Our gardening friends north of us seem to have more problems with them being weedy. I'm planting my spring bulbs garden. I inserted some of the Italian arms into the raised bed. Will keep y'all posted on their progress.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Arum. ...ooops sorry for the typo.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is the group of Italian arums that I planted, will see how prolific they're going to be.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I was given a clump by someone who was complaining about their aggressiveness so I put them in a very dry spot in full shade and they are well behaved there. I was glad to find something that could survive that spot.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks back40bean, for your input. It'll be interesting for me to find out how these will behave in its new location. I'm glad to hear that you've found it adapting to the difficult spot in your garden.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's it today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.