Home Run Roses Not Blooming Much

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Home Run roses were advertised as being an improved type of Knock Out roses and I bought 2 plants a few years ago. They have been growing fast and are large plants now, but they hardly blossomed at all last season and this year they are finally making a few blooms when the temp dropped to 65 - 75 during the day.

I thought that these were repeat bloomers, any way to encourage more blooming and earlier in the season.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, I am sorry to hear you haven't had many blooms. I am in a much warmer climate and have great luck with Home run. I like the color so much better than Knock out. Do you have them in full blazing sun?

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Yes pretty much full sun.
Any tips on watering and fertilizer plan?
Pruning?

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

That just it, most of my plants now are natives or well adapted plants. I don't spend much time on fertilizing or watering special care plants and Home run has done fine with just the watering that everything in the beds gets, twice a week, deep soaking when it is over 90. Fertilizing is just some regular multipurpose stuff trown on the beds in the spring and lots of mulch.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

That's pretty similar to what I do, maybe I'm over watering.
I only used wood chips for mulch.
I fertilized them in the Spring, and maybe one more time mid summer.

I'll give them some now, and see how it goes.

I wonder why they did hardly anything in the hot temps, then just started blooming?

This message was edited Oct 13, 2015 8:49 AM

Richmond, TX

My Home Run has never had any feeding besides barnyard manure and mulch. After it became established, I also have not watered it. It blooms well in spring and fall, but the summers here are too hot for most of my roses to bloom well.

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Interesting, thanks.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

That is the case with the few roses I have. Very little blooms in the heat of our summers. Now that we are in the 80's things are really starting to look better, even the Knockouts. (red and pink)

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

My Home Run roses just won't bloom, I've got maybe 3 roses on the plants.

Last fall I planted 7 cheap ($10 at Lowes) Knock Out roses they grew fast in the Fall and this Spring and they have at least 10 roses on each small plant with many more coming. These are doing much better than the Home Run type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.