Gardens Bare - Plants Everywhere!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Spent yesterday digging and potting all my tender plants to bring inside for winter. Now I have a jungle I. Here of Alocasia, caladium, Vigna, jasmine, passiflora and my succulents!

Anyone else creating an indoor jungle?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Pictures please!

I need to let my tender tropicals dry out a bit more befor bringing them in to my unheated front porch for their winter semi dormancy. One year they were too wet and my porch made its own fog every morning!

Do you keep yours growing or make them go dormant?

Mine live year round in containers so no digging them here, plus I'm almost zone 8a and don't usually bring most of them in until after Halloween.

Have you checked out VA Wild Rose's thread on Indoor Gardens 2015?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1405988/

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I like to keep mine growing so just pot them up. I still have passiflora to bring in. I could have waited until later here in Delmarva, but hate rushing the last minute if they make a last minute prediction. I was going to let them sit out on the porch a while longer but decided to get them in and find places for them. Some black Alocasia in living room, others in spare bedroom. Coleus in spare bedroom and more to bring in such as the jade tree. Jasmine in hallway and many gerbera daisies and few other things in long hall. Vigna in dining room, not shown.

I let the succulents stay in the garage, they did fine last year. I also have a fuschia that is doing great that I may try to winter over?

The plants aren't that "fat" lol, when the program flipped some of the pics they got wider lol!

This message was edited Oct 13, 2015 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Haighr--

I am not done bringing plants inside yet. The weather is still so nice....
However--by Saturday and Sunday nights--we will have some frost--on Sunday.
It will be last minute panic--as usual.

--Need to hurry up and take cuttings from all the Coleus to root. They are so pretty!!!
--Need to cut back my Brugmansia too so i can root some of the stems.
--Need to get my racks inside so I can put all the remaining plants on them.

It is a crazy time for sure.....BUT--when it is all done--I feel so relieved.

Talking about "Jungles" in the house--I can show you what my house looks like
in winter. These pictures will be from last year (2014). Brace yourself!!!

I REALLY DO have a jungle--but it looks kind of cozy....
Hate having to water them all--endless job! Gita

1--Overview of my LR and DR
2--Vintage metal shelving on DR windows
3--Corner of my unused kitchen door...
4--Plants on the bed of my guest BR.
5--Holiday Cactus on my kitchen counter under task lights.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm--
No one seems to be posting on this Thread......Whass up?
Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sorry, I just found you, as the other threads, and my self, were busy enough to take my time.

Looking lovely, haighr! You do like your Elephant ears, don't you? Passiflora? Is it in a container over summer? must not be the common maypops I have here. That has been hardy for eight years so far. I let it consume a Van Houtte spireas every summer now, then peel it off about this time.

It's 49 here at the moment. I've brought the tenderest in, and the rest are close to the house. One Alocasia in particular resists going dormant even if I try, so I think it'll be a featured plant this winter. But there's little room for medium to large plants which I seem to mostly have this year.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Got my CC's (Chritmas/Thanksgiving cactus) situated. All HB are in.

I still have the other black plant rack (Ikea) outside--now sitting empty.
Wish I had a wall somewhere to put it against--that would take care of all my
smalled Spider Plants. I seem to have too many of them. Very fertile plants....:o)
Will have to take a bunch to work and let them go at it...

Still outside are all my Amaryllis pots (7). Will try to find room for those in my Shop.
Three pots of Non-Stop Begonias are still on my front steps. They will all come in today too.

The biggest issue right now are my two big Brugs. As usual, this time of year,
they are full of buds. Hurts me like H--- to cut them off!
Need to cut back at least one of the main stems on each so I can cut them up and
put them in pots to root. Doing just a couple cuttings of each...

AND--thanks to "donner"--I may, actually, just let the big plants "GO"..
Never thought of doing this--but "donner" never saves the mama plants--just cuttings.
AND--she has a system of moving the cuttings on and on to bigger pots and,
believe it or not, she can have a full size Brug in full bloom in just one year.
It is unbelievable!!!

I NEVER thought of doing that!!!! So much easier than having to dig out the big plants
and haul them into the basement...We will see---we will see----

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh my goodness. What a beautiful, lush jungle you keep!
My passiflora are the Lady Margaret and something else that is the color of maypops, but not. Will dig them today. I should just keep the bulbs of the elephant ears, but they don't seem to grow as large when I do that.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I have 14 containers of EE and Dragon Wing Begonia to fit on my porch today. They are all in large containers, so no digging. The EEs don't need light so I stach them under a table desk and shelf. The DWBs go on a shelf on the wall opposite the window. Most years they bloom all winter and get quite leggy but the color is nice.

Haighr tell me how you do your coleus and which coleus you like to over winter.

Gita, it does look cozy especially to someone like me who would like to live in a green house!

Sally, what other 'featured' plants will you have?

Thumbnail by coleup

A Lucky Bamboo Is Now A FEATURED plant. Got him maybe four years ago for DS to take to his loft. He came ba k and the plant ended up at my part time job. Now it is two feet tall and up to seven stems fuzz it added more from the base. It's become part of the family history lol.
fan palm that I grew from seed that I smuggled back from Italy is another special one.
Red Star cordyline looks really nice in the pots and I am hopeful they will be OK in the library.

An aglaonema that I brought to the library is not happy!!! It dried out too fast here. I guess it grew really well over summer and now needs a bigger pot for weekly watering. Live and learn.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I don't know what coleus I have, but they are pretty colors and one is ruffled. I brought one pot inside and took cuttings to root from another. They are mixed together and make a nice display.

I brought in the fuschia. Will be my first try at overwintering them. I hung the pots up in the garage and will stop watering them and cross my fingers! I feel your pain at digging when there are still blooms. The passiflora actually were just getting full of blooms.

Looks like we are all gonna have to bring in our big watering pots for the winter!

Washington, DC

Dang. I'm away visiting family in Asheville NC. Bet when I return, everything in the garden will be dead.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Don't panic Lisa, it is what it is. We actually missed it here on Delmarva, at least in laurel De. Only got down to about 39 and even the areas that got frost around here was patchy.
Enjoy your visit and keep us posted.

I think DC was probably safe, even last night.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I agree Sally. The weathermen always over exaggerate!

Thumbnail by haighr
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Lisa, the National had a low of 38 yesterday, and southern Silver Spring only hit 34, so your plants are probably ok!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Could have left mine out as well, but now glad to have that chore behind me. My neighbor still has his orange trees out in pots and they are fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.