Poppy help, please

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Can someone help me here? These plants are from some Poppy seeds that I sowed in the Spring. They never did flower -barely survived, but now look pretty good. I do not know if they are perennial or annual. Should I leave them in the clumps, or seperate them and replant them so they can overwinter? They are really crowded right now.

Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott Thumbnail by JoParrott
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I am not the greatest plant ID person, but I grow Papaver somniferum and Papaver orientale, and the plants you have are not them.

Maybe somebody else is a better ID person than I am...can somebody chime in with what these are? Are they poppies? Papaver nudicaule?

If you aren't sure, you could hedge your bets and separate some, but leave one clump. That way, if they are perennials, either the clump or the separated plants will be happy next year.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Yes, they're poppies.
Poppies generally dislike transplanting.
However, if you're able, dig deeply & wide around each plant to ensure capturing as much rootball as possible, and replant in the ground. This would be an ideal week, as the temperatures and moisture levels are optimal.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, katye, I will do that.

Seattle, WA

Did you happen to keep that seed packet??? Always a good idea in case something does actually grow. Failing that, I'd ask a neighbor with a good looking yard, or a local nursery, not HD. Those are all people who are familiar with the Richland climate. If you can remember what the flower was supposed to look like, google poppies and try to find the particular variety. Over here on the wet side, it can take a herculean effort to rid your self of them. I'd be tempted to let them be, and see what happens in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.