Deodar Cedar?

East Bridgewater, MA

This tree has caught my eye for a while. The floppy top and cones I think give it away. is this a Deodar Cedar?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'll defer to Resin, but my vote goes to Cedrus libani.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Atlas cedar or cedrus libani var. atlantica is very popular around here. There are many differently shaped and colored cultivars of it. I only know this much from planting two of them recently-- an icy pale blue pendulous one called 'blue cascade' and the upright glauca aurea robusta. I love how they light up a space but they do need winter protection from high winds.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Cedrus libani. Which subspecies / variety (i.e., whether Lebanon, Turkey or Atlas), impossible to say.

Resin

East Bridgewater, MA

Cool. I have a question though. Cedrus libani has the common name "Cedar of Lebanon" regardless of it's subspecies correct? I am getting the subspecies atlas crosswired with Cedrus atlantica "Blue Atlas Cedar" which is an entirely different species correct? I just want to get it right for my records. Thanks!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Floppy top? Am I missing the floppy top or am I too short? I love the form of this conifer.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Blue atlas cedar is the common name, and some places list atlantica as the species even now. I believe atlanica might be called a subspecies of cedrus libani.

East Bridgewater, MA

Gotcha, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.