WANTED: Rebuilding my collection after losing everything

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if there are some kind souls out there who would be willing to help...

I am a fragrant plant collector, and a year ago I had quite the collection. Scented orchids, fragrant old roses, exotic tropicals, etc. -- quite a few very hard to find plants. To make a long story short, divorce forced me to move across the country at a moment's notice and I was unable to bring my beloved plants with me. Some of them were several years old and I miss them dearly.

I am now starting to get back on my feet and to a place where I can indulge in my passion, which is gardening and collecting fragrant plants. Unfortunately, it isn't something I have the luxury of being able to spend much, if any, money on at the moment, but it is definitely something that brings happiness to my life.

There are a few plants that are very special to me, and that I would be insanely grateful to have again:

Chloranthus spicatus
Michelia champaca
Wrightia religiosa or vietnamensis
Any scented hoyas, Arabian jasmines, or citrus
Aglaia odorata

If anyone has these plants and is willing to send me cuttings (I can afford postage!), please let me know! I don't have anything to offer at the moment, but hopefully that is only temporary.

Thank you for reading, losing my collection was awful but I am ready to try again! :)

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

How terrible. How will you keep these alive in your zone?
There are many fragrant flowers ..my favs are daphne,edgeworthia,Chinese fringe tree, and subtle caryopteris, some witch hazel. Many others that do well in zone 7 - but those are my favs.

Edited to say foam flower is also a favorite if you have a way to keep shaded and moist. It has a delicate, fresh, clean and gentle scent.

I don't know anything about bonsai but don't think the witch hazel I have would lend itself to that.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2015 7:38 PM

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I am planning on growing most of my plants in containers, and so the tender ones will come inside during the winter. I grow most of my plants in containers since I've always been a renter. This is when bonsai culture comes in handy, and it's interesting stuff :).

I'm still new to fragrant plants which are hardy, though. For example, I couldn't grow peonies in the zone I used to live in and I'm pretty excited to try one. I have read a little about the witch hazels and I'm intrigued. How big do they get? Do they lend themselves well to bonsai culture?

Daphne is one of the plants I've always wanted to try but haven't gotten my hands on yet, mostly because I've read that they do not like to have their roots disturbed (a problem for container culture).

I will have to look up info on some of the ones you've mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

You might want to try some herbs as well. Lavender and the various thymes can be container grown. Some mints also. I like apple and chocolate, they can be harvested, dried and used for tea and jelly. I could send you an assorted box for postage.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Botaniphile, I know how it is to regroup after a divorce since I have been there too. Its just a matter of time you will have a flourishing container garden again because all the garden buddies on this site will respond to you in an overwhelming way.I do not have any of those plants that you are requesting but maybe later on I made have other plants that you might need.All the best to you

Fort Worth, TX

I have a scented iris, might have a corm to spare

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.