October-Fall Colors and a nice chill

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

New thread!! Thanks Betty for the heads up!

I'm enjoying these nice temps again. When I'm outside anyways. lol. Been stuck in paint so haven't been out much at work.

Antique tractor at Deanna Rose Farmstead in KS. Neat place.

Thumbnail by pepper23
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's an old tractor. I love old tractors, I think that's the oldest one I've ever seen.
I like it when people set them out in the front yard. I want a restored 1949 Ford 9n tractor someday. I helped a guy plant 6,000 tree seedlings with it one time. It pulled a seedling planter from the Missouri Conservation Dep't. It was cool as heck you can hook modern implements right up to them. Anyway I sat right on the seedling planter, it was even painted John Deere green (the planter), the tractor was white.
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here are some nice pics from the Eldon Turkey Festival Parade.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I like those old Farmall tractors too, that's a cool parade, thanks Betty.
Farmall is huge in antique tractors too.

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

A nice chill? Heck, I have decided it is too cold to eat ice cream – even if it is chocolate!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

rofl....omg...Betti when I read your post, I read chicken pox, not box....lol Thought maybe you had been around the Royals...lol

I primed wood today finally for my arbor. So happy to get part of it done. Will post pictures this weekend, I think it is going to turn out ok. Problem I want to put it as you enter the potting area, but it would probably look better leading up to the garden room. Once I get it done before making it permanent I will move it around and see.

Couldn't sleep, I need to work harder I guess.

Anxious to see everyone.

omg a fire that is horrible.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

44°/65°/45°
Relative Humidity
81%
Today...Breezy...Sunny. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight...Partly cloudy. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening.

Thanks Pepper!
October kind of sneaked in didn't it?
Neat old tractor!

Will,
That would be a neat little tractor!
My Dad has a corn seeding planter that he pulls behind a tractor. DH sat on it one year and planted corn.

Betty,
I love horses in a parade!
My Dad has a Farmall and an Allis. I's what he grew up with and after he got married he worked in the Farmall plant.
Nice tribute.
Awww, sweet couple!
Nice coach!

Patti,
Meee tooo! I have not even looked at the ice cream in the freezer. I'm done!

Happ,
When you move your arbor around you might like it in a different spot than you planned. I'm sure it's going to be pretty cool anyway :o)

I'm staying up later and still waking up at 3:00 am. I think it's catching up to me. I was awake a lot last night too. I wasn't cold, but I am going to throw the velour blanket on today.

Nichols has Octoberfest today but we don't go uptown and join in. We usually work outside and listen. We can hear the PA up here :o)

But, since it's another windy chilly day I think I'll take another day of rest. That means cleaning inside instead of out....

Have a nice quiet day all!

lol I am going to bed as you are getting up.. lol Wish I did something constructive during the night when I am up, but not so much. I already threw on the velour blanket 2 days ago....great minds or cold feet one of the other.

Our house is solar gain during the winter but since the leaves are still on the trees no solar is coming in on the south side yet.

We havent had rain up here in forever. The ground is like oven baked bricks.

Need to get moving, gather up the plants and head to the RU.

I got the best catalog from Missouri Wildflowers Nursery. You can order pots or seeds in some cases. It has color pictures of the blooms and lots of planting suggestions. I have never ordered from them so I don't have any first hand experience with them. www.mowildflowers.net

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I had been to that nursery Joyce and ordered some of my favorite plants from them. Native bamboo, witch hazel, button bush, and hydrangea. Go for it! Great personable service, healthy plants and reasonable prices. See my DG watch dog review.

On my way home from the annual meeting. Had a wonderful time. I will be busy the 1st week of June. St Louis is hosting my church's national annual meeting.

We are cloudy and cool here. Hope you all are having a great time.

Hi Betty, we had a great time, it's nice seeing old friends! I got a few pics. Here's Thriftway across the street from the restaurant and this is where we ate! I wonder if these birds like these wires?! #3
Time to do last minute stuff before I leave for truck-driver training tomorrow.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

We ate lunch at "The Little BBQ Joint" and I thought the food was AMAZING!!! I had pulled pork with a hot potato salad that was amazing. The buns were warm, which I HATE cold buns...no puns intended...lol

I learned how to stick my hair up, course I don't have any hair (short) but I did learn something..lol. Everyone had amazing plants.

Oh yeah Patti, Debra is bringing you home a trunk full of plants!! She hopes to see you Monday...rofl.

I ended up with some great plants, my little car was stuffed full. I got a mugo pine from Will, a butterfly bush and 2 hardy hibiscus from Pepper, some red spider lilies and a tropical from Debra, along with a two vines, I am putting them on the fence that you see as you are driving up to my house. And I am sure other stuff that I just can't remember at this time. What a beautiful day. A little too cool to sit in the shade.

Pep said we are going to Powell Gardens next spring for the RU, so please plan on it.

It was great to see everyone, I missed atleast one RU, and hadn't seen Bonnie in forever.

Had a great time, now the bad part where am I putting these plants!!!

Betti so glad to know someone who has used that nursery. Their catalog is amazing. Very impressive. I will drool all over it all winter. I may even try some seeds.

Happ, don't buy the passion vine lutea. That's a vine I have and I'm gonna have to take tordon to it to get rid of it. lol.

It was a great time today. Food was excellent and I'm going back again, this time I'll get a different sandwich and try the hot potato salad.

I got some great stuff too. Can't remember it all but I will find places for them.

When we got to the park where we decided to do the plant swap Happ and I immediately pulled into a sunny parking area and said it was too cold for shade while we waited on the others to catch up. lol. With a high in the 60s shade is pretty chilly right now. lol

Hi Sally! Oh yes, I just love old tractors! I bet IA has a lot of them, quite a lot of corn.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sounds like your RU went well and everyone had a good time! I'm on the run.

Cold and breezy today with no sun. Brrr! I have a squash to put in the oven and I'll roast some potatoes too. I peel, slice, lay in butter, flip once to coat both sides and bake. The old recipe called for crushed corn flakes topped with cheese on top of the potatoes. We had that a lot at home. I now leave off the topping and we have crispy potatoes. I'm going to look for a green bean recipe to throw in too.That will add heat to the house and our belly's :o)

Stay warm, stay dry, be at peace.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok. It looks like the weekend of June 11 & 12 is when I'll be busy. I'll know more later on.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I Googled crispy green beans. Oh yum! Good and easy. I cut up a Marconi sweet pepper to add. You basicaly take long or snappped green beans, add any ting you want. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and bake at 350° for 15 mins. They are crispy and good!

Most of the birds here have left or taken to the country to eat weed seeds. I did fill the birdbaths last night. Most were almost empty.

I took an all day rest yesterday and also sat outside with my hood up and back to the wind. I can't wait for it to rain. With all the crop picking the air is so dirty. You wonder how your body can filter it. We shine a flashlight up at night and it's amazingly awful!

It's Monday. Glad we're retired and only have to get a flu shot one of these days.

We put on a few storm windows yesterday. So far running the burners is enough to take the chill off. It's warmer at night each night too. That helps.

Have the best Monday!

Dinner and the biggest bed cut back.

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Geehz, Sunday was cold, Monday is cold, I was in hopes I would get some rain, but it doesn't look like it. I will have to use a pick axe to chop the clay soil. I need to plant plants.

Was going to meet a friend for lunch but she had to cancel. I was already in Liberty so I went to Savers. That is like Goodwill but for Brothers and sisters. Anyway I need to stay away from there...lol.

In the last 3 or 4 days I have bought a funny concrete cherub I am going to hang outside, love this ceramic flower pot it has a flower on all sides, these lounge chairs I got for 20.00 for two! I bought spray paint to paint the frame and will probably recover them later much later, , this picture I am not sure what it is made of except the green part are tiles and it weighs a ton! I may have already posted this chest I got there can't remember....lol too much buying!! ;)

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Nice purchases! You did well. That cherub is so cute… It needs to be in my backyard. LOL

Love the chest and the picture!!

Thank you all for the nice comments. The cherub is going in the funny garden, she just cracks me up. I am going to paint the dresser white I think, some day. I needed a couple of more projects sitting around and waiting for me to do something with them.

Painted on the garden arbor until I thought it was going to rain. I put everything up and of course no rain. I need to level the ground so I need to get the pick axe out.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
When it cools off like it has, you would think it was 30° below zero, but boy it feels cold at 50°.
I feel for you and your clay. Does it help to mix good dirt and take the clay out of the hole and plant that way or is it too pricey?
All beautiful things! I have material like your loungers in a rocker. Know what the stain is most likely is? Tanning lotion. The kind that gives you a tan Ask me how I know :o)
I am blown away by what you found! I would have bought all of it myself!

I cut back the rest of the flower beds yesterday. I still have daylilies and siberian iris to cut back, but that's easy peasy and I don't get itchy. Later the last few bloomers will go. I am on top of it this year!

I also took out the 6 roma tomatoes that aren't going to do much more and DH weeded the garden.

On a happy note, it's warming up!

Have a fabulous day!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello. Caught a cold. Hope all is well with everyone else. Back to sneezing me head off and blowing my nose.

Feel better soon. Be sure and get lots of rest.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you.

DH has a cold also, been effected for about 3 days now. Take care and get as much rest as a working Mom can get.....

Waiting for the fog to burn off. My garden doors are almost free standing.....I am excited.

Well probably should do some housework while I wait. How can two grown adults make such a mess?? Stuff everywhere.

Oh DH is landscaping the chicken house...really. We are going to have the fanciest chicken house in the city! lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betty,
We got over our colds pretty fast and we had the sneezing too. I hope you do too. Cyber hugs :o)

Aww Happ, so much good going on at your place. It makes me smile!

I loaded Windows 10 last night. It took about 3 hours or so, but I like it. It seems faster. I've spent some time changing privacy and other settings. It works just like Windows 7. They just have a new look and different places to find things. I'll keep it :o)

We picked the rest of the snow apples today and I raked the bad leaves that have fallen off the tree. I also got some of the walnut sticks picked up and burned. It's starting to look like fall with plants cut down and garden slowly being torn out.

Hoping for rain tomorrow, we ran in and got groceries this morning.

DH found these on a gravel road a few feet apart. We've never seen one so little.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have been invited to a Christian clown meeting this Monday evening. I plan to attend. I may need a clown name. Maybe Petunia. I have been face painting and twisting balloons for quite a few years now.
Anyone else have experience clowning? Maybe I could wear my gardening ensemble, twist balloon flowers and bees, and paint the same.

I have picked a lot of sweet banana, jalapeño, and bell peppers. I harvested all of the trombone squash. I am still picking tomatoes, butter beans, and okra.

The city trimmed my pine tree and left the branches. Nicole has been cutting them up for firewood. The roses, marigolds, hydrangeas, and morning glories are still blooming, but not for much longer.

I hope to do some exterior winter prep this weekend. We are all like squirrels gathering and burying our nuts this time of year. The walnut tree across the alley has many busy squirrels scurrying about. I noticed a bumble bee in my garden this evening moving very slowly.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

A few of the squash.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain

I got the arbor completely primed, finally. If I ever do this again it will not be with doors that have so much glass....lol. It was beautiful today.

Even tho it is nice I need to drag the plants indoors, I am going to get caught when the temps plummet and I hate being out in the cold dark dragging plants in....lol

GB I love the name Petunia, great clown name. I don't know a thing about being a clown. So I can't be any help but moral support...lol. Please post a pic when you are all clowned up. Would love to see Petunia.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betty,
I love Petunia. Mom used to call us girls that when we were little, when she was teasing with us. That and Skinny Minnie. When we took the boys to an event the guy's name was Papa Balloon. Think about it. It took me a while to get it and then it was so funny! You will need to get a picture of Petunia :o)
We got free squash from our local meat locker people and he grew pink banana. He said he grew up on it in California but it's not grown around here, so he grew it. No one is buying it at 5 and 10 dollars depending on size.
I'm still waiting on the asters to die back so I can cut them, but I got almost everything else. I still have a few iris.
Yes we are! And I think like that too. What do we need to do to survive without using a lot of energy :o)
Nice harvest! Do you bake them whole or are they easy to chunk or slice?

Happ,
That's why I never want windows with panes that have to be washed separately. But, I'm sure your project was well worth it and I can't wait to see it!

I'm not sure we are going to see any rain today. Maybe tomorrow, so I am going to get out and water a few things.
The birdbaths are dirty with corn chaff covering the top of the water. I'll refill, but it's going to keep happening.

Have a nice warm day!

Corn shaft everywhere north of me. He was in the field night before last until about 2 am. He works days, bet he was great at work the next day...rofl. Not alot of corn to harvest around here alot of the fields didn't get planted due to the rain.

Gas prices altho they are still in the 2.00 range are going up almost everyday here. No rhyme nor reason that I can see. I filled up the truck when it was 2.10. Didn't hurt so much.

Cloudy not suppose to rain until late tonight....humm.

The gas prices here went up $.19 overnight. Their excuse was a refinery went off line – but they gave us the same excuse when our prices jumped $.14 a gallon two weeks ago. I haven't been out today so can't swear this, but I think we are back up around $ 2.50 - you know, that $2.49.9 crap they do. It makes me so mad. I was going to stop and get gas yesterday but didn't.

That'll teach me!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Than you BP for the cyber hug. I can always use one. I am feeling a little better; esp. since I am on the bus going home. The ladies are cracking me up. They are crushing on our new bus driver.

I have noticed gas prices slowly rising. It has been nice paying less at the pump all summer. We could sure use some rain here. The ground is hard as a rock.

Same here on gas prices. Anymore I just roll my eyes. They can never make enough money so it has to go up.

I'm watching, er... listening to the game right now. lol. Hoping the Royals win.

Never been a clown either, just a witch so no help here. lol. Petunia sounds neat to me so go for it!!

Ground hard here again too. Luckily everything I had to plant went into spots where the soil was loose from removing other stuff.

Here is a pic of our ground ALL over it looks like this. I did get both hibiscus planted and so excited to see them next year. Suppose to have rain but now they are saying we won't get any. Everything is soooo dry.

GB I bet riding the bus can be very informative...lol I love going to the beauty shop and listening to everyone, people don't hold back a thing....lol

The arbor is standing on it's own....finally. I knew all along I was going to put a fence up but now I will have to because I used guide wires to steady it. We have horrible winds here and even tho it is screwed to metal that is in the ground DH thought it would be better stable if we did the guide wires. They will be blocked by the fence and I will have vines growing up them next year so they won't be noticeable and won't hang anyone. ...lol When I read about others doing it they were putting them on wood porch and had solid doors so they used a fence post to stable them. I can't do that because of the glass.

1st pic ground
2nd pic looking from my potting bench
3rd pic looking in from the porch.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

My ground isn't that bad yet unless you count all the mole runs that we have in the lower yard. lol.

Love the arbor!!! I need one here but don't really have a place for it. lol

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce - Love that arb!

ty Brenda. I think it will come out really nice when I get all done. Now I need to stop working on it and get ready for winter. I haven't brought plants in or got everything planted....there's time right...lol

Pepper looked like you got rain last night.... not a drop here ;( Farmers are happy, those that have crops that is.

Joyce, I am so impressed! It's obvious that was a lot of work and you did a beautiful job.

Oh, that poor dry earth.

Last night was a wonderful night for sleeping here. I opened a window and was lulled to sleep by the gentle sound of rain. The weather had said spotty storms. This was definitely not a storm and I think it went on most of the night. I had not meant to go to sleep, because it's a little dangerous to sleep with your window open here. I only woke up because I got cold. I hadn't even made it to bed. I was kicked back in the recliner. The furry butts and I are hosting the next-door neighbors' dog again. I feel confident that between Nikki and Tucker, an alert would go up, if someone were lurking outside the window.

I haven't seen a woolly Catapillar since I was a little girl.

If gas prices here were going to creep up, I would be much happier. A $.19 leap, over night, had me doing a double take. I couldn't believe it – Until I could.

GB – I know a standup comic who travels all over this country doing comedy. Her other job is to be a clown. She visits children in hospitals. Jae is great! She and a couple other women have a weekly TV show called "Mouthy Broads", that I have never seen because I can't figure out how to tune the TV station in using Dish. Did you know there's an actual clown school? Apparently, it is difficult to get in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.