Pansies

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Last year I let my son (3 at the time) pick any flower he wanted from a greenhouse He picked one single pansy and this spring poking through the snow I seen some pansies coming up. I was so amazed, the one he planted reseeded itself and came back!

The first picture the left side is the flower of what he planted last year and the right side is the first flower that opened up this spring!
The second picture is from June and how much it started to spread over my garden. About 5 more popped up since then.
I took the fourth and fifth pictures a week ago, I noticed two different colored flowers on one plant!!
The 3rd picture is from today, same plant as the last two pictures and such amazing color differences, you can't see it in the picture but it is so velvety looking.

These pansies have brought me so much joy this year, they are amazing and every day they continue or amaze me with their color.
I sure hope they come back again next year!! I am going to see if there are any seeds that I could harvest off of them.

Is it normal for pansies to have such different flowers colors on one single plant?

Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Some flowers change color as they age, so if a plant has flowers of different ages, is will have different colors on the same plant. Sometimes people choose plants because of the color changes (Rosa mutabilis is a rose that does this). Other flowers will fade in the sun. I have sometimes noticed this in pansies. What a great way to get your kid thinking about plants and colors!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think it is normal to have a variety of makings on the same plant. But you seem to have red and purple which is neat. I would watch one flower age noting the color when it just opens until it fully ages. Anyway, the nice thing about pansies is the different "faces". I like that your flowers face up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.