Exotic Looking Fruit

East Bridgewater, MA

I saw this right near Wheaton College this week. The fruit has to give this away. What is it?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The fruit gives away the genus - Magnolia. Most all the ones you will come across will look like this, varying bigger or smaller by species.

The plant is Magnolia virginiana - Sweetbay Magnolia. This plant is used rather regularly as a large multistemmed shrub or small tree, and sometimes pruned to a single stem small tree - though with age this plant can reach 30+ feet tall around here and have 24" or better trunk diameter.

Very fragrant early summer flowers and tolerance of wetter sites makes this a versatile landscape plant.

You only left out a good clear image of leaf arrangement along the stems. Add that, and you have provided the classic set of ID images.

East Bridgewater, MA

I've never seen the fruit of a magnolia before. I should have guessed by the leaves it was some type, but this is the first I've encountered around here. I think it's a bit cold for around here in general but you probably see it all the time.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.