Calla Lilly .. overwintering

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Hi ..

I have a lovely Calla Lilly that I want overwinter.
Some questions.

1. Do I cut it right back .. like only the base sticking out of the soil.

2. I HATE bugs, anyway to tell if there may be some under the mulch in the pot, and, if I find any (EWE) how can I be shed of them before bringing the Calla in.

3. Can I dig it up in the spring (un pot it) and share bulbs ?

Thanks in advance :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I store them like dahlias - as bulbs, air dried in a ziplock kept cool but not frozen.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Your plants are beautiful Marilynne, what are those yummy green spheres?

Good morning ..

Believe it or not .. the 'green pom pom' flower is a type of Citronella ..
I can say the mosquitoes were sparse this year .. and, I don't know if it was because of that plant by the patio table.
I put ruby red geraniums in with it to make it even more visible ..

Kinda kewl huh :-)
Wish it was a perennial !!!

~M~

This pic was taken just after I had transplanted it from the nursery .. after lots of watering and fertilizing, well, it was just lovely !!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Yes...cool (kewl), I really like it. Are you going to save seeds from it as well? The Geraniums were a good addition.

The poor plant is looking UBER wilty right now as we have a couple of frosts here.
Not sure where the seeds would be .. maybe I'll have a boo at one this aft .. kinda dissect it and see what's up ..
The plant was over $10. on SALE !!!

~M~

PS .. thanks re the Geraniums, it was a toss up between them or Petunias or Sweet Potato vine, glad I went with Geraniums :-)

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well that green pom pom is gorgeous and I had to find it. I believe it is a Dianthus barbatus called Green Trick or Green Ball and it seems to be used by flower arrangers. How did it do for you?
And what did you do with your calla lilies?

It does look like Dianthus barbatus 'Green Trick', I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the enabling Loretta!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am sorry that I am JUST NOW responding to this message.

I have overwatered callas for years. I grow some in pots and some in the ground.

If you are growing them in pots just take them and put them in your basement or any other place with little light. DO NOT WATER THEM!!!!

If they are in the ground I clean them and put them in a layer on pot bottoms, also in a dark place.

No water.

When temps warm expose them to light. My basement has windows, so they respond to the longer days by spouting.

I then add to or change their soil, give them some bulb food and water, bring them to fuller light (south is great) and they start to grow.

Withholding water is the critical step in forcing them into and keeping them in dormancy. Some of my callas are ten years old. The great part is that they will multiply for you!

I hope that you see this.

Donna

THANKS so much Donna ..
I will relocate mine and nix the watering ..

I love Lilies because they always RE GIFT :-)

Again .. thank you

~M~

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

(I owed you that one, Mipii).

Lol ;P

Well .. it died off :-)
NO seeds.. not sure how they propagate .. I'll be looking for them again ..
I do think they were in a display that was mis marked ..

OH MY .. the Callas .. I cut them back .. debugged them and set the pot in the living room kind of in a corner (gets some light) ignored them .. gave the pot a wee wee bit of water maybe every 2 weeks ..
All of a sudden .. it blasted through the soil and proceeded to produce chutes !!
Now I have about 6 of them, and, I can't put the plant outside til MAY ..

Fingers crossed :-)

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.