Good news for Monarchs in Texas

Dallas, TX

Thanks to the folks at NPSOT and TxDot, Monarchs are going to have some rest stops along parts of I-35.
(Hope it's ok to post this. I'm just too excited to ask first.)

http://npsot.org/wp/story/2015/8082/?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=7e8f7744a5-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_mod1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_410aeb1c0a-7e8f7744a5-92554485

Fort Worth, TX

Very good news! I noticed when I planted for my bees that I have tiger swallowtails, regular black swallowtails (don't know name) but the monarchs had been growing fewer and fewer the last couple of years, so I am thrilled to host my 2 caterpillars that are looking very close to chrysalis stage.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

On October 4th the Monarchs fly through my garden all day during their migration !
I am ready with my camera !

Dallas, TX

Cool. I have some plants they like but my garden is very small. I've seen 1 or 2 various butterflies but figure if any do come by, I'll have my back turned. Maybe next year.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

There have been a few at my place today. Pretty much right on schedule.

Fort Worth, TX

I fear my caterpillars have their schedule all wrong, and I can't find their chrysalis. Aren't they supposed to do this in midsummer so they have time to grow up and fly south? If I do find the chrysalis what should I do, if anything?

I figure Mother Nature knows what She is doing. I would just let them be.

Fort Worth, TX

since they have totally vanished that is what I will do. if I start pruning lantanas and find them I will put them somewhere like my open air shed?
the lantanas need chopped - spider mites and more stuff.

The more exposed they are the more likely birds will get them or something else.

Fort Worth, TX

that is true Lisa. But won't winter get them?

It might but I don't know if you can help that. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more knowledge. I'm funny about messing with Critters in the wild. I've raised a few in the house among other things (my kids were an excuse) lol but I try to leave it be. That's just me.....

Fort Worth, TX

well I have no idea where they are hiding, I did move them to a tuberosa that was near the split rail fence, blackberry bushes, grapevines, generally cover.
the one they started on is in the middle of a path with no cover and after it goes to seed it will go. They did not hang their chrysalis on the plant. It is just new to me. I have tucked spider egg sacks under something on the porch when I had to paint the window frame they were in.

(if anyone needs garden spiders, the big pretty ones with the zigzag web, just let me know, I have a LOT of eggs)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.