Looking for Dark Foilage vine - deep purple?

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I love the discussion of pink trumpet - can't wait to start my own war with it.

I have a concrete block wall (bout 20') at the back of my lot that I really want to plant with a dark leaved something or other and I'm thinking vine. And, willing to change my mind for another solution. It needs to be dark to showcase the "Regal Mist" pink muhly grass in front of it. Any ideas? I'm 2 miles from the beach in SoCal, zone 10 (Sunset Garden Book, zone 24).

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Afternoon!!

What about a Black Diamond Crape Myrtle? They have gorgeous "black" (really dark purple) leaves and come in several different colors. Their dark foliage would set off your pink muhly grass beautifully.

TB

Thanks, TB, I will look that up right away. Was also looking at Costa Rico butterfly vine. The bloom color would be a good backdrop, and sources say it can bloom most of the year. I love choices as long as there are not too many. Thanks again, Syb

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Would love to see pictures when you get it all planted and settled in!!

I 'd love to see some pics myself...right now they are only in my head. Crape mrytle has a serious problem with mildew in this zone darn. I can cause my plants enuf probs without bringing them home with me. But I love some of those c myrtles...must let that go. If I change the position of the pink muhly grass the pink trumpet vine would work on that wall, too. Choices. Thx for the input. Syb

Did I fail to mention that I only do container gardening? Yep. I don't worry about vines getting
out of line. Just cut them off. Syb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.