Shrub with nice fall color

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Anyone know what this is? It'll probably be a Duh moment for me, but I'm just not sure what it is. If push came to shove, I'd guess it to be in the Cornus family, but that's just a wild guess. BTW, they're growing on a wet --almost swampy-- site.

Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo Thumbnail by Pseudo
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

It will be one of those trees/bushes with hi sugars- persimmon, prunus, sumac types. Sorry.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Kittriana. This is a tough one. Someone on another forum thought it was Poison Sumac, which does seem to fit. You were definitely on the right track. :)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Its just that these- and Maples- are the first to color, esp with the deep deep reds. The sumacs. Where I drive tho, I can tell the hwy depts have poisoned the roadsides HARD, and the sumacs are looking very sick. Also noticing a disappearance of birds where the poison has killed everything it touches.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Has anyone on other forums asked you to take some additional pictures? If not - I will.

How about some images which show clearly whether this is opposite or alternate; simple or compound leaves; whether it has dormant buds formed along the stems at the base of leaf attachments; etc.

I can see the color clearly enough, but those three images don't give me much more information - and I zoomed the dickens out of them before typing this rant.

To be a dogwood, it will have to have simple leaves oppositely arranged. To be Poison Sumac, it will have to have compound leaves alternately arranged.

Many Prunus sp. color up very early (many here in KY). If this has simple leaves of alternate arrangement, that would be my first guess. If this has compound leaves oppositely arranged, I would guess one of the Fraxinus species.

Let's see if you can provide more information to help sort this out.

If it's growing in Wisconsin, it cannot be tough - except for the blind men examining the elephant...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Geez, you're like a cranky professor. Really sorry to put you out like this on an Internet gardening forum. What was I thinking? BTW, are you trying to put on your best Lindsey Graham imitation? Such drama! Oh, one more thing, to be a dogwood the leaves don't always have to be oppositely arranged. Just saying...

You can pick out any outlying exception - doesn't make up for crappy careless photography. And that exception doesn't grow in swampy settings.

But I'd expect no less from someone looking to cast the blame elsewhere for their own mistakes - totally unable to accept responsibility. Recognize Her Royal Criminal in the mirror?

Oops wow. That must've been the 2009 Mount Dorado Fair Play Malbec enunciating...

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Are you turning into a werewolf?

Looking for hair on the paws...nope, not here.

What else ya got?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Full Supermoon, if not werewolf you have blood heating up somewhere! Chuckl

While I won't give any credence to the lambasting above - to this I will...

Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival (1969)

I see the bad moon arising.
I see trouble on the way.
I see earthquakes and lightnin'.
I see bad times today.

Don't go around tonight,
Well, it's bound to take your life,
There's a bad moon on the rise.

I hear hurricanes a-blowing.
I know the end is coming soon.
I fear rivers overflowing.
I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

Don't go around tonight,

All right!

Hope you got your things together.
Hope you are quite prepared to die.
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.
One eye is taken for an eye.

Don't go around tonight,

Don't go around tonight,

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I love CCR!

I'm thinkin' I need to resurrect the old "photos that go with songs/lyrics" posting style...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Wistful- There was a style?...

Something like this...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/668578/

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

OH my GOODNESS, those are beautiful pictures! Wow!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhh! Back before I membered and only looked at the pictures and drooled. Thankyou. Will have to play with the possibilities.

I remember that beautiful Katsura...so aptly named. I'll take copies of 'Was blind...', '...but now I see', 'And grace my fears relieved...', for my livingroom wall please.

Does it sadden you to see so many old names that aren't subscribers anymore?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Why would it sadden? Many went to the free site, many were here awhile to send us smiles. Those who walk ahead are there to pull us forward. Sadness has always seemed to me to be a personal wish for our own selfishness- esp so since many of us hurt bad enough by our time that we are ready for that step. Chuckl, smiles bring the angels to bless them and us.

Good attitude Kitt! Yes, we have the control to perceive any way we wish.

Some may no longer subscribe here, but there are many new e-faces and voices taking those open slots.

I don't look over my shoulder too often, because I always manage to fall into that open 44" tree spade hole in front of me - and I don't bounce as well as I used to...

Lol VV...it sure would be fun to shadow you for a work week. Not to capture video of you falling into a spade hole of course. Because your job is so incredibly interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.