Floppy branches on Desrt Rose

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have several Desert Rose plant that are all outside, in direct sun in pots. I am afraid that I have been watering them too much in the brutal heat we had this year. I am now being very careful to only water when dry. My oldest and biggest plant now has a couple "floppy" branches. They are not soft or mushy but not firm and strong. I have them attached to a stick to keep them standing up. If it was too much water will they firm up? I am thinking about cutting them off. If I do can they be rooted?
Open to any suggestions.
Thanks Dee

This was my first summer in the Phoenix area and I have had several plants burn up and leaves turn to a crisp, but I am learning!

Adding picture. It is the branch sticking forward that is no longer stiff.

Thumbnail by dmwade
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Adeniums can take lots of water in the hot summer weather, especially if in full sun and a loose soil mix. I think your soil mix looks like it needs more pumice or perlite. Yes, you can cut off branches. Some sources recommend doing it in the spring. However, I just had a nice cutting that I rooted in pumice under my artificial lights in my laundry room and it took about 3 weeks. Any cutting you root will flower, but it will never develop a caudex. Cutting off unruly pieces is actually good because the plant will send out side branches where flowering will happen. I'm sure you know that when the plant drops its leaves and the weather gets cool it night, you need to stop watering and let it rest where it will not freeze. Photo is my plant that just rooted.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Thanks for responding. I'm going to give this plant a good look and do some serious pruning.and try to root the trimmings.
All it's growth is to one side. Thanks again.

Decatur, GA

I'd like to see a picture of the plant from the side. Is the caudex upright or prostrate? It looks like the latter in the picture. If it is lying down I would want to repot it in a more upright position and the decide about the pruning after is repositioned.

You are right it is more elongated. This was my first and was originally potted like that so when I repotted it I just did the same thing. But now that you mention it it is my only one shaped like that and I now have 7. I'll give repotting and repositioning it a try. Thanks for the soggestion.
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.