Sore throat and swollen glands

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

I have been sick for the last few months. I have a sore throat and swollen glands and it affects my ears too.
I keep trying to fight this with antibiotics, but I'm quickly losing the battle and I want to feel good again. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do with herbs to finally conquer?
Thanks, birdie

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

You can chew echinacea root or make a tea which is more pallatable to help strengthen your immune system. You could add honey to the tea which might sooth your throat also.

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

Thanks Mick,
I have some dried leaves that I collected last fall, will they be as effective as the root?
I'm sucking down vitamin C lozenges right now. I seem to be keeping even, but I'd like to feel better.
Birdie

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

I was told by my botony teacher in college that there are two types of echinacea that are used medicinally. One they use the leaves (I think). The other they use the root. I order mine through Herbal Healer as I am taking classes through them. They use the root. I don't know enough yet to say for sure though.

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Actually, there are at least five species of echinacea that are used medicinally. The most commonly used, however, are E. angustifolia (narrow leaved coneflower) and E. purpurea (purple coneflower).

Echinacea is an immune stimulant that increases overall resistance to disease. It is also useful in treating the early phases of bacterial or viral infections, speeding the resolution of colds, flu, and all kinds of upper respiratory infection.

Both the leaves & flowers and roots of all species are used medicinally, depending on the herbal culture, the ailment being treated, and the species being used. For insance, E. angustifolia's aerial parts are almost devoid of the alkaloid that does the job, so using the root makes more sense.

An example of cultural use: Native American herbalism tended to use only the roots (no matter which species) because NA herbalism is rooted (sorry about that) in the use of bitters.

Most current cold and respiratory treatments use the aerial parts of E. purpurea

A specific for swollen glands, BTW, is a ticture of either the fresh or recently dried root of Blue Flag (Iris versicolor, or I. missouriensis.

For adults, 5-15 drops of the tincture in a full cup of water is the recommended dosage, up to three times daily. It is _not_ recommended for long-term usage.

This message was edited Friday, Mar 9th 2:09 PM

This message was edited Friday, Mar 9th 2:28 PM

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Birdie,

From what you've described, I would guess that whatever you have is viral based. In addition to the above suggestions, you might want to try this cough syrup, which both has anti-viral characteristics, and which will help soothe your throat:

1 oz hyssop
1 oz hoardhound
2 cups water.

Make a strong tea of the herbs, steeping at least 20 minutes. Strain.

For each cup of tea combine 3 cups honey in a double boiler, until syrup is hot and ingredients incorporated with each other.

Dosage is 1 tablespoon by mouth, up to five times daily.

Just realized I wasn't clear. This is to be used in conjunction with, not as a substiture for, other recommended treatments.

This message was edited Friday, Mar 9th 2:17 PM

Louisville, IL(Zone 6a)

My son had this problem and what it ended up being was his ears were getting a fluid build up in them, swelling, and pushing on the gland below and a little behind his ears. The doctor put him on antibiotics for one week and saw little improvement. So the second week he was on antibiotics, every night I would warm the sweet oil up, take a Q-tip and lightly coat the opening of his ear. This gave him a lot of relief. Some people will tell you this is a no, no, but I have seen it work to many times to believe that. I use peroxide when I get and infection in mine. This is also supposed to be bad (doctor's say it is). It has always worked for me!

Salina, UT(Zone 4a)

Thanks everyone! I'm copying this thread and using all of the suggestions. You're wonderful.
Birdie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.