Help I'm Infected.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like a few of my AV's have Mealy Bugs. I have played around with Q-tips and alcohol but I can't quite seem to get rid of them. They are a difficult problem to resolve. So I am wondering if any of you have had this type of problem and how you treat your AV's for pests. Many of my plants are in AV pots I was wondering if I put a systemic pesticide in the water if the roots would pick it up? Sure don't think that my fuzzy leaves would be real happy being drenched in the stuff.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Athens, PA

Hello Holly.

I hope this finds you well. I haven't talked with you in quite a while.

I would definietly isolate the plant for starters.

I had asked a grower what he does for foliar mealies and he recommended to me to mix a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water and put it into a spray bottle and spray the plant, which I did quite some time ago. I haven't had any issues since I have been using this method.

Best of luck to you.
Carolyn

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Carolyn, I have tried that and it did knock them back but some of the leaves weren't too happy. I tied q-tips soaked in alcohol, too. Both methods helped quite a bit but didn't completely take care of the problem and a few weeks later I was seeing signs again. I am not home right now but when I get back I will be starting up the battle again. I would like to try and place one or two in a local Flower Show come Feb.

Athens, PA

Holly

I check mine every day and if I see something, I spray them. If you wait too long, then eggs will hatch. Also, if any other plant is infected then, the mealies will go from one plant to another.

I would love to see pictures of how you do at a flower show. I did see that later this month, there is an AV show down in York. I would love to go - but cannot at this time. I don't know how far York Pa is for you.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

York is very close only 20 mins and that is the Garden Club that I belong to York Garden Club. When I get home I will have to check out the AV Show. I have never tried to show any of my plants. I keep thinking of trying to but never seem to get it together enough to try.

Oh, mealy bugs on your AV's are like the worst uninvited guests, aren’t they? Messing with Q-tips and alcohol can feel like you’re trying to win a game where the rules keep changing. I get it. If those fuzzballs aren't digging the alcohol spa treatment, thinking about systemic pesticides is definitely the next step. You’re spot on with not wanting to douse those fuzzy leaves in chemicals—they wouldn’t appreciate it. Systemic pesticides work from the inside out, so adding it to the water is like giving your plants a secret weapon. The roots will take it up, and it’ll help fight off those pests without turning your plants into a science experiment gone wrong. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter, so your AV’s stay happy and healthy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.