What blooms with lilacs?

Cranford, NJ

There is a certain point in the year where literally every flower I have planted around my house is purple. (I am in New Jersey, zone 7.) It basically coincides with lilac season, which around here is mid-May (after the spring bulbs, before the peonies and roses). I have lilacs, allium, etc -- all purple. Can anyone suggest perennial flowers that bloom at the same time as lilacs -- that aren't purple -- that I could use to mix things up a bit? Thanks!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sounds like an opportunity for viburnums and azaleas - oops, more shrubs.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

How about a walk around the neighborhood at that time of year and see what else is growing in other peoples' gardens?

There are a lot of perennials that bloom in spring, but, as you note, a LOT of them are purple-lilac-blue.

You will have to check bloom time and if they will grow in your area. Also, all I am listing is the genus, there are often several species, hybrids or varieites in many colors. Also, leaf color can add interest, even if the plant blooms at a different time, or has insignificant flowers.

Arabis
Aquilegia
Aubrieta
Aurina
Berginia
Calylophus
Coreopsis
Dicentra
Erysimum
Euphorbia (leaf color can be very showy on many varieties)
Gaura (moved to Oenothera)
Geranium (the true species, and many of them.)
Gypsophylla
Heuchera (leaf color, too)
Iberis
Kniphofia
Lupine
Mimulus
Oenothera
Oxalis
Pelargonium (especially the scented ones- leaves are often colored, and usually deep cut, showy even without flowers)
Penstemon
Phlomis
Phlox
Salvia (SO many!)
Saponaria

Cranford, NJ

Thanks so much for the helpful ideas! That's definitely enough to get me going. I like making bouquets, so variation in flower color is great. I also may try really early peonies, because it seems like they arrive only a week or two later. Maybe a super-early one will do the trick.

Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.