Gardening inside a lanai

Endicott, NY

I'm sure this subject has been covered somewhere so point me in the right direction if you know it. We are planning to stay south for four months this winter. Can only grow inside the lanai. I'm thinking earth boxes or large planters. Have to keep it as neat as possible as mu hubbie is not a fan of dirt. So with anything that needs to be pollinated, I would have to do that by hand?? I'm thinking mainly of tomatoes and pole beans and cukes. I appreciate your help.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We are in Fl. My son grows lots of plants inside of his lanai in large pots. I know he doesn't pollinate anything himself. Vegies should grow fine as long as they don't freeze. They could be covered more easily inside of a lanai. Now I am preparing the ground outside for our winter vegie garden. If it freezes it usually doesn't effect them. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, brussels sprouts all like the cold. It's too hot here for them during the summer.

You can always check with county extension office to see what will grow wherever you are going to be planting.

Good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.