CLOSED: Fall Chat 2015

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

New room to post your pictures of what is still blooming in your area.

I still have roses,purple mexican petunias and morning glories blooming.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room, LK. Beautiful blooms. Do you know the name of the rose?

We haven't had a frost yet and probably won't have a killing frost until next month. I still have things blooming as well ... Jerusalem Artichoke, Crepe Myrtle, Mirabilis, Goldenrod, Russian Sage, Butterfly Bush and some other things. I'll try to take a few photos next time I go out in the yard.

Sorry, I can't keep tags . The dogs think they are chew toys.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No biggie, just curious.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I still have a few hosta blooming. My autumn huechera is so beautiful again this summer. Just full of blossoms. Kinda boring looking yard now. Sad to see. I have started to cut down my plants now. All about the autumn.
Have a great rest of your day all.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

I am so happy and excited to announce that my newest grandchild is a GIRL. That will make me 2 of each. So happy for Megan and Cory. Just hope that Noah won't be to zealous when she is born.

Congratulations.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Congrats Kathy!

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks, can't wait to be able to start shopping. LOL

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Congratulations on the new Grand Daughter, Kat. Hi everyone, I still have lots of blooms, but you and I can't see them while I am at work..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I love those shrimp plants. They look like little corn plants.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, you've got lots of Monarch caterpillars! Yay!!

Here is a few pictures of some of the things that are still blooming. Got lots of dahlias still

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Debra, thanks, that will make me 2 of each. Just hope that we don't have a big snow storm around that time. Beautiful pics.

Annette, beautiful flowers.

Beautiful flowers and butterfly.

I Love Dahlias, and usually I have a few, but this year, I think I forgot abnout them LOL Yours are gorgeous, and that butterfly shot is totally for a greeting card. :D

Thank you all for the kind words. The only down side to the Dahlias is having to dig them in the Fall, but those show stopping blooms are well worth it. They bloom until the frost kills them, not too many other flowers give a gardener that long of a bloom season. I enjoy the variety of size and colors available. And except for planting in the Spring and digging up in the Fall and occasional staking, they are pretty low maintenance.

I don't think I had ever seen the colors on any until now as far as the large lavender goes. I also forgot to tell you your fall decor is awsome.

I have 3 different purples. That one is called Blue Bell, it is new this year. There are many more available. There are also many different forms of Dahlias, so many combinations...it boggles my mind, lol.Check out the Dahlia forum if you are interested in them. I have learned a lot over there.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful!. The only Dahlia I still have is "Akita". I love them but I'm not gardening like I used to.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/329679/

Akita is lovely, I don't have it though.

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23

love them all, but the last pic is my favorite :D

Ladies, I need your thoughts and prayers for my ex and my boys. My ex has stage 4 cancer, and is being moved to hospice this afternoon. I need prayers for strength for my boys, to help them through this hard time.
Thanks so much!

Praying for you and your boys and family, Linda. I know this is a hard time for them and you as well. ***HUGS***

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

From me too, Linda.

Thank you.

Linda, so sorry to hear about your boy's father. I know from personal experience that what affects your children also affects you( even if it does involve an ex). Prayers for everyone to get through this difficult time

Thanks Debra, that last pic is my favorite too!

This message was edited Oct 9, 2015 5:06 PM

It is a BEAUTIFUL day today outside,,,, but here I am inside an office.. *ugh* I worked on the basement until 3 am this morning, and then felt an earthquake.. :P

The passies I left inside to trail along the ceiling leaders are almost covering the whole ceiling now..
Have three passies outside, don't know if they are the hardy ones or not, going to take cuttings and then see if they come back next year.. I told you all the Hardy banana pup I left in ground last year came up this year, right? AMAZING!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh Debra, it's so frustrating to be inside on a beautiful day, isn't it. My hardy banana it doing great in the backyard. I hope yours continues to do well too. My zone is a little warmer than yours. I still have things blooming outside.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Lost you all somewhere along the way.

So sorry to here about your boys Dad....hugs to everyone.

Glad you found us.

How are your boys and You doing? Linda you know I love you to pieces and worry about you, girl.

Today I was off work, it was another BEAUTIFUL day, spent 4 hours in the dentist chair. *sigh*
Joe did come and sit with me and watch the bords for awhile, but he was short lived outside since he mowed the front and raked the back, he is fighting a losing cause with all the leaves. I was going to dig up the three remaining brugs and EE's and nuns orchids out rm the pear tree garden, but decided to hold off until this weekend, and told Joe we should go to the Tuesday cheap matinee at the movies, which we did, ( Merle Streep as a rocker) and then he took us out to eat at a new place we'd never been. It was a nice day after all.
We keep eyeing our banana, the baby I planted is going to stay outside up against the house, but big momma I just don't know if she is going to fit this year.. we sink her into the empty sump pump well downstairs it gives us about 3 extra feet. I got some standing clothes racks to hang pots on, one is a tension bar one and one a three legged one, both are full of plants ..
I am a genius LOL

Boys are still in Houston with their Dad. He is failing pretty fast. The hospice nurses are awesome at keeping him pain free. But it is really hard on the boys watching him go downhill. Hard on me knowing I can't be there to comfort them.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, I'm glad to hear he's pain-free. I know your heart aches for your boys.

Debra, my hardy banana usually freezes to the ground by the end of winter and then comes back from the roots.

CVG Do you mulch your hardy Banana? I have one that is in a pot that I have been debating wheter I should plant in ground or not.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Annette, I mulched it for the first couple of years. Then I stopped that and cut it to the ground each fall. Now I just let it go. The first freeze will kill it to the ground. It reemerges every year with more new shoots. I don't limit mine to a single trunk.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I found a picture of my hardy banana emerging from the ground this past spring.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Do you ladies get bananas, or are they ornamental plants?

the one I got as a baby came from Tropicman and he always brought it in even at 300 pounds, ( In Wichita) and he ate bananas all summer from his.

300 pounds? WOW!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.