Barberry with long spines, for deer-discourager hedge

Bellevue, KY(Zone 5b)

I thought I had some Berberis julianae, among the longest-spined--1 1/2" spines--but not available after all. Does anyone have any they can dig up and send me 3 or 4, with some maturity?

This is the one called "Winterberry"

Fingers crossed,

Ladyfoz

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Deer may still eat the first year stems if they are desperate enough. Either way though, the deer will likely be able to jump over it until it's tall enough to prohibit that. I have Berberis x gladwynensis 'William Penn' and it is one tough shrub. It looks very similar to the one you mentioned. I've had mine for 5 years and it gets very little water due to being under an overhang on the south side of our house. It grows great. Anyway, the B. julianae might not be hardy for your zone. NCSU says it's only hardy to zone 6.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 5b)

Dear Sequoiadendron 4, I am just now logging in and see your response. You are completely right that the deer will just jump over it. However, they mightl go around it, and if I can put enough barriers up... who knows? Instead I was forced to buy Mahonia, which I already had in another spot, and true, they don't go near it, but as you say, they are small yet. My spot is as yours, under an overhang, actually a wild canopy of hackberry and mulberry, growing here since before this town (Bellevue KY, on Ohio River) was founded in the 1870s, I think. Be well, and send me your e-mail. We are heading east across PA and back last 10 days of Nov. Jo Anne Warren, warrenjf@fuse.net

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Mahonia is a good plant too but I've been told it can be invasive if planted near a woodland. It's very pretty. We had two but I transplanted them into one hole and the larger one has struggled since transplant, it's sad looking. It's definitely beautiful though. Good luck with it, I hope it does for you what you intended.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 5b)

Many thanks. I tried to buy Berberis julianae and would have taken Gladwyn as you have but found it only in Great Britain, where they definitely use it for boundary--all those sheep, etc.--but due to international law cannot ship to us here. Boo. I don't know how invasive these plants are but surely not as invasive as the deer, who I understand have been on this earth a lot longer than man. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.