An Amazing Daylily Experience, for those not in the know...

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

An experience so cool I just had to share.

I registered at The Lily Auction, under some guidance of a friend.There's some beautiful things over there; however, I was on the cheap and was looking for some seeds. I came across a seller named Prissylb43. Beginners luck I'd say, because I checked her out after I placed my bid...not before.

She had made some amazing crosses (quite a list). I came across a cross that looked really good to me. Her pictures were taken from her own garden and boy did they sell me. That attention to detail gave me the first hint of professionalism. I asked a question, she replied promptly and was very personable. Okay, I can relax and enjoy the experience I thought.

I tentatively placed my bid, worrying the whole time if it was enough. I expected the worst -- a sniper bid coming in with seconds remaining and no time for me to respond. I just had to have those seeds. Fortunately, my friend told me there are safeguards against last minute bidders on the LA (The Lily Auction), that information elicited an audible sigh of relief.

I was still anxious, I wouldn't find out if those seeds were mine for another 13 hours.

At one point I went back to Prissylb43's listing and I found another really great cross. Oh wow, you should have seen the images of those crosses in my mind. That auction was going to close in just a couple of hours, I had to think fast(er) than my fingers could move, if I was going to stop that bid entering the race, lol.

Exciting? You bet! I stumbled across a gold mine. Not only could I have seedlings that look like either parent, or both, I may get something completely unique. With 12 seeds, I could get all of the above.

Mipii was the highest bidder, the screen said, I won the second bid. I won the first bid. I was on a roll! I rolled right on to another beautiful cross and bid again. Again I won!

Ha, I just quadrupled my collection with a few key stokes and bought a few choice seeds. Easy peazy...and easy on the pocketbook too. I can't wait to see my seedlings.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2015 9:57 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very good!!!!!

Thanks Cindy! That was sooo much fun.

Here are the beauties I bid on and won...

Tribute to Mike X Rolling Raven
Capulina X Cockspur
Checkerboard Curls X Swallow Tail Kite

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Looks like you had fun Robin! I am sure you will get something out of those that you love!

Thanks Genna, I'll keep you posted!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Congratulations Robin!! Thanks for the information regarding Prissylb43, I haven't purchased many seeds! I had good intentions of practicing this year on some clearance seeds I got from Cindy, she is Lighthousegal on the LA. Highly recommended. The LA is very addictive, good luck with your new seeds! :)

Ah, I'm not addicted, I can quit any time I want to...

Lol, thanks, and thanks for your information about Lighthousegal too!

This message was edited Sep 27, 2015 9:51 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Am not currently selling seeds, just plants but watch in about 2 to 3 weeks. Right now I am letting my seeds chill. I like to chill them in the fridge for 30 days prior to listing them. Then because of the chilling, some may want to plant them right away, especially those that live in the south.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Tribute To Mike - LOL!!
Be very careful on the LA !! Good luck with those seeds.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Tribute to Mike...............cool....I totally missed that name! :)

Cindy, do you have plants on the LA now??

Thanks!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Cindy, are you enabling?

I got my order from Maryott's during the first week of September, just in time for my yearly sinus infection. lol.

*~*
Robin, I will look forward to seeing your seedlings!

Yes 'Tribute to Mike', I'm pretty sure it was a tribute to MikeB. If not, it is now. I think it's a beauty!

Oh no Cindy...you'll have to give us a heads up...please.

Susan, I hope you're feeling better everyday so you don't spend the whole fall feeling miserable. I look forward to seeing my seedlings too, lol. I couldn't be having more fun if I tried.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I do have a couple of plants on LA right now that I am trying to clear out of. I need to downsize as we may be moving in the next 2 years.

Uh oh, that'll be an undertaking with sooo many beauties in the garden. I'll check them out.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I saw an in office sinus procedure advertise as a cure for sinus issues. Look into that and see what you find out.
Cindy at least you will have 24 months to decide on the keepers to minimize the move. Are you planning on a major downsizing ?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I need to cut my amount of daylilies in half Mike. So out of 300, I will only be taking l50 with me. We would be moving to a zone colder and a lot of the evergreens and semi-evs won't be coming with me. I figure if they struggle in my zone now, they would not grow well at all in a colder zone.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, I am surprise that you are moving to a colder zone, but we trust your judgement. LOL!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I know Mike. As you age you think warmer but my hubby's parents left him this house on a lake in northern Michigan and we love it there. I guess we could always go south for the winters.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Excellent idea Cindy.

That sounds like a move is worth it, Northern Michigan is absolutely beautiful. Congrats Cindy!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sounds wonderful.............well at least for the summer time! Not sure I could handle the cold come winter!! I would probably just have to hibernate! :)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Mike, no procedures for me. I am doing irrigation. lol.

Congratulations Cindy! I am happy for you but down sizing sounds like a lot of work. Will you sell them on the LA?

I love hibernating, probably a little too much. lol.

I just received my purchased seed from Prissylb43 on the LA. Nicely packaged and labeled, very prompt with delivery and communication in the meantime. She was over the top generous with bonus packages. I mentioned how much I liked 'Pink Cluster' she replied by sending me numerous crosses with 'Pink Cluster'. My goodness, I'm Daylily rich. I'm really, really rich.

It's time to downsize my already small size home and supersize my garden, lol!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL @ Robin!!
Susan, that's where all the water went!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I will be leaving a lot with my house here but will be listing a lot too on LA in the spring.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

LOL @Mike! You are giving me a mental image of a garden hose!

*~*

Cindy, that's great, just take the good ones!

*~*

Mipi, what is 'Pink Cluster'? Glad to hear that you had a good experience. :)

LOL @ Mike and Susan!

Hemerocallis 'Pink Cluster'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/18470/

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Pink Cluster is a cutie.
Susan be careful.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks! It is actually 'Pink Cluster Spider'. I am not a fan of spider daylilies, but I do love pink so it could happen. I am staying off the LA though. *~*

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL..... I made the mistake of visiting the LA the other day............. thankfully I got out without injury! LOL

Cindy, let us know when you list yours - I would love to pick up a few, but I can't just troll there!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, LOL! "Without injury". There's a lot of inexpensive plants on the LA. You just have to EXERCISE SELF CONTROL!!!!!
Don't go crazy. That plant will likely show up again with no competion on the bidding. Been there.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

She must have plenty of control if she went there and got out without injury. lol. I like the buy-it-now items because I can shop for a price the same as any other website.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan, I agree. I do that on EBay and Amazon also.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I would be careful about buying seeds or plants because the warranty will run out before they bloom. Too many crooks showing up with fake seeds and plants like daylilies. They sell high dollar cultivars and when they bloom you got a nice ditch lily. lol.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Ha - Susan, not sure my self control is so good - but at least I managed to get away that time! :) I don't have the patience for seeds - but I try to be very selective about who I purchase plants from. I try to stick with the "buy it now" ones too so I don't get lured into the competition on bidding! :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna sometimes you will be the only one bidding. The worst that can happen is someone comes along and outbid you. That plant will show up again. You have nothing to lose if you just bid the starting price.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL....that's true!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.