yellow aphid time on milkweed

Fort Worth, TX

I found this article helpful. I also found the rei link embedded in it helpful as I had actual aphid eating larva eating some of them. I squished the aphids that didn't have company and rinsed them off.

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9471

Fort Worth, TX

I sure hope those were yellow aphids because today I only had 2 - just 2, monarch caterpillars. Well they were aphids. But does anyone know what monarch eggs look like?

Thumbnail by Gypsi
Dallas, TX

I think they kinda look like small white dots on underside of leaves. I saw a picture posted somewhere. Having a senior moment but it will come to me.

I haven't seen many butterflies or cats but my garden isn't very big. Had a few aphids (bright yellow/orange) but blasted them off with water.

Twice now I've seen what must be a spider. But it looks like a tiny albino crab. Maybe I'll ask Dale Clark at the Oct. 10th meeting of the Dallas County Lepidopterists'. It's going to be at his butterfly farm and am hoping to go. This is a once a year event and one doesn't have to be a member to go. Maybe it was Dale who posted the picture that I saw, maybe on Facebook.

Fort Worth, TX

hmm don't have to be a member to go? not sure if I can get there but if you were to post a link I would read it?

after I used a search engine to ID the aphids it occurred to me that photos of egg might exist
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=monarch+butterfly+egg+photos&t=ffsb&ia=images

This message was edited Sep 29, 2015 8:29 AM

Dallas, TX

I found the 2 pictures I was thinking of and then there was a third as well. These were all taken at Redenta's Gardens in Dallas.
1. Aphid feast for a lucky ladybug at Redenta's
2. A monarch (look closely near pole) looking for a place to lay eggs
3. Monarch egg on the Milkweed leaf

Thumbnail by tx_flower_child Thumbnail by tx_flower_child Thumbnail by tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

Gypsi - Just looked at your link. You obviously found some good pictures of the eggs. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.