Tulips and Peonies in Texas

Fort Worth, TX

The peonies are survivors that were about to be disposed of to make room for a deck, i just potted them. I just spent about $12 on 50 tulip bulbs and for now I stuck them in my refrigerator (no apples in it.)

any idea when the tulips should be planted temperature wise? and any texas peony tips?

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

I have only one peony.. a fern leaf.. I think 'early scout' and I kept it potted since I am also wondering if it will survive here and if ao, what conditions would be ideal? I have never had any luck getting tulips to return in Texas!! They bloom once and the next year are gone!!

Fort Worth, TX

I am really thinking a 2nd refrigerator, even just a little dorm one, would solve my tulip problem for the return, trouble is I think it is still too hot to plant them. Tulips can't be kept in the fridge with apples and some other fruit, the gases from the fruit kill the bulbs, I remember that.

Dallas, TX

Gypsi, if you are on Facebook, look up North Haven Gardens. Or you can go their website, nhg.com. Their latest newsletter which is somewhere in my house talks about tulips and peonies in the DFW area. If I find it anytime soon, I'll update this post.

Fort Worth, TX

will give it a try, but do post it if you find it - thank you.Wow, found their website and downloaded the newsletter. So I will post the link for the whole list, thank you Flower Child!

http://nhg.com/newsletter.htm Just click on the month you want and waa-laa!

This message was edited Sep 18, 2015 8:00 PM

This message was edited Sep 18, 2015 8:02 PM

Dallas, TX

So I notice that in the current issue (Sept.-Oct) there are 2 things about bulbs. One is that on Oct. 3rd NHG will host a free presentation by a guy none as 'The Bulb Hunter'. I went last year and it was really great. Yes, he's written a book, but mostly it's just there to buy or not. The main thing is where and how he finds native bulbs, mostly in TX. Very interesting.

The other thing is that on the last page NHG displays some of the tulip bulbs they will have. I was surprised that there is a peony bulb. I don't know if this is diff. from what I think of as peonies. When I was a kid in Illinois my mom grew a number of large peony bushes. Must be different.

If you select the Nov.-Dec. 2014 issue there's a time line for planting various bulbs.

For those of you who do use Facebook, if you go to North Haven Gardens page, you can ask questions and will usually get a reply same or next day. Also recommend Redenta's for same reason. (Plus Redenta's has the sweetest shop kitty named Fig.)

I know many of our Texas gardeners on DG should be able to give you good advice, Gypsi. But glad you liked NHG. They're nice people and I have watched them get more and more organic every year.

Fort Worth, TX

My peonies are coming up still in the pot, never got the bed cleared. And cold weather is on the way. Not a good thing I think

Fort Worth, TX

I haven't gotten either of these planted yet. I guess it is late enough to plant Tulips? Had them in the fridge since about october

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I found this bit of info on peonies: http://www.garden.org/plantguide/?q=show&id=2055
It says what I remember hearing sometime ago, that they don't like hot summers 😞
Hubby & I once stayed at a B&B in Colorado west of Durango that was a flower farm. They had rows & rows of peonies & other gorgeous flowers & bulbs! Unfortunately, our timing was just a couple of weeks early & didn't get to see the full bloom. The casita was beautiful & the breakfast was outstanding! It's where I learned to combine fresh, homemade yogurt with granola & a bit of milk. Yum! I would LOVE to grow peonies. Just another case of plant envy! 😋

Fort Worth, TX

well these were growing next to a foundation in Arlington Texas, they were small and scraggly but had lived without much care. If I ever finish the bookkeeping I am going to stick them on the east side of my house. My plant envy is white ginger, have had one in my greenhouse a couple of years for each winter but yet to see a bloom. It came up from Houston with a DG member who comes to our RU

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a potted galangal that bloomed one year since I've grown it. Got it in a trade with a lady selling herbs at a farmer's market. I gave her some of my lemon grass. The bloom was small but nice. I've seen ginger & it's beautiful☺️ So many plants, so little energy!

Fort Worth, TX

Ain't that the truth - I have pots out front waiting to be planted since last summer. Leopard plant salvaged from a pond repair, it was small and in the trash, looks great now, 4 peonies, a rescued azalea in a pot, oh yeah and a bag of tulip bulbs in the refrigerator. Bookkeeping comes first. Can't get fined for late plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.