Killer cat

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have several cats that have visited my yard for some time (I keep mine indoors) and it was always fine (especially a big gray beauty). But a cat I have seen before is having an awful effect. The other day I found a dead goldfinch. Then two days ago I found a dead chipmunk. Today as I was looking out my window I saw a black cat walking under my doublefile viburnums, because he was stalking a chipmunk. He attacked it, and it was trying to get away, but by the time I got there the black cat had taken the poor chipmunk out of the yard and to a neighbor. I have seen this cat many times before but now that my shrubs are getting bigger it is obviously coming back on a regular basis to stalk and kill creatures.

Since I am now seeing the cat almost every day and now have seen it's awful work three times in a week, does anyone have any suggestions? I created my yard as habitat for birds and little creatures. I like chipmunks (a little milorganite keeps them from digging).

Any suggestions, other than chopping my plants to the ground? It's horrble making funeral arrangements for these poor little creatures.

Donna

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!