2015 Fall Plant Swap Thread PART TWO

Frederick, MD

By special request. Have at it, Kids !

We came from....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1401311/

This message was edited Sep 10, 2015 7:09 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Muddy thanks for that link and thanks for putting seedling photos in PF! Those little guys do look like the seedlings in Martina's corner, so I think I'm good for Filipendula rubra. :-)

Oh, you'd better make Gita a drop-off station... something will find its way to her! LOL

Frederick, MD

Yes.... notice how I didn't respond to her request to omit her ? LOL

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread, CAM. We can get pretty chatty the last week or two before a swap.

I haven't actually dug up anything yet. I was hoping for some rain before stressing the plants by digging them up.... and I'm still waiting!

Frederick, MD

I would think it's not so good for the plants to dig them up more than a couple of days before the swap. Wouldn't it stress them out more to be out of the ground too long ? Plus, you have to keep the roots wet, much tougher when they are dug up.

I almost always pot up my giveaways.

For bare rooted plants, it's best to dig them as close to the swap date as possible, but for potted plants, the sooner the better.

I don't have much luck keeping bare-rooted plants alive (unless they're super hardy like daylilies or vinca), so I prefer to pot up the plants I'm giving away.

Frederick, MD

Ok, thanks for the advice. I plan to dig mine up, leave the dirt around the roots, put them in a plastic bag, give them a good soaking and keep the roots damp until Swap day. I will probably dig them up the middle of next week.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--if anything were to end up at MY drop off marker--it won't be by request.
IF I find something I would like to have during the swap--it will be my choice.

I ALWAYS dig my plants up and pot them up at least 2 weeks or more ahead.
Isn't it nice to get healthy-looking plants rather than droopy ones someone just
yanked out of their garden?

I just prefer doing it that way..... G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

SSG You have me down for the following:
-coreopsis 'Zagreb', shasta daisy, most likely 'Becky', very tall Rudbeckia laciniata, very tall late-blooming asters to coleup

I totally understand the stress on the plants in digging them when ground is so dry! We are close enough that I can wait to get my requests until after swap, So do what works for you and the plants ! And if you decide to keep them until Spring that would be fine, too.

Same for any of my other requests. Judy

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yehudith, what was the price on those pulmonaria you mentioned in the last thread?

Thanks, coleup! But I'm feeling very optimistic about our rain chances for this Saturday and Sunday.

I'll pot them up early next week and hope for the best. The ones on your Want list are super hardy plants that transplant really well.

I have plenty so if they don't survive this winter, there'll be more in the spring!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yehudith---
Thanks for the offer of the Pulmonarias. I have two I am growing.
I just ran one short (it died) that i was going to give Cam. He asked for one.
If you are going to give some to SS gardener--make one of them for Cam.

Right now mine have no home--as I planted my Dwarf Phlox in the locations
they were growing in. Have to find another suitable location for my two
and stop moving them around.

Thanks, Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

After struggling to fit rambling St. John's Wort plants into the biggest pots I had, which required cutting through some of its roots and bending others, I came to the conclusion that it would have been much better for the plants if I had plopped them in plastic bags instead. The clumps were about 8" in diameter, but the roots are only 3" deep. The rest of the rhizomatous plants I'm digging up will probably arrive at the swap in bags!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Same here, with Bead Fern. They have fibrous matted roots only a few inches thick. They really fit better and stay moister in a bag. It gets nuts hauling tons of dirt to swap.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry I've been absent of late, busy at work and a zillion things going on at once. .. As always seems the way, a LOT of stuff has come up at once and I regret to say I'm not going to be able to make it to the swap. Between the work at the house being pushed back, and my truck needing work done to her I'm up to Wilt Chamberlain's eyeballs in MUCK. I am sooo sooooo sorry guys, I wanted to come soooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!! We don't even have sheds or the deck done yet!!!!!!!! Ugh...

OK, speaking of the deck, expecting them to show up literally any minute now so need to run.

:(

Frederick, MD

B U M M E R !!!!!

Quote from CAMfromMD :
B U M M E R !!!!!

Yeah!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

BUMMER X infinity!!! But, totally understand, sweetie. You will be missed.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, what they said, speedie. So disappointed that you can't attend after all.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry you can't make it, speedie!

Sorry you can't make it, Speedie! :-( Hopefully, next time!!

Muddy, I'd love some of your Scutellaria incana seeds!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Okay, CatMint, I'll add you to the list!

thanks, Muddy! :-)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome!

We'll miss you, Speedie!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Reposted this from where I originally posted on the general discussion thread, probably more appropriate on this thread. This is for plants that I have to share:

I had been so busy all summer getting ready for the celebration of life memorial service for my BIL, that I hadn't even really looked to see what I could bring for plant exchange at the swap. I probably won't dig up anything this time, but I can offer up a few left over plugs of:

Epimedium 'Lilafee' (sequoia, ssg)
Tricyrtis 'Dark Beauty'
Chelone 'Hot Lips'

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hello all, I have sent our regrets to Cam.
Ric and I will not be able to attend the Fall Swap this year. I only have a few trades, I guess they will have to wait till the next Spring Swap.
We are hosting a Picnic for the York Garden Club (60 gardeners) here on Monday. With our traveling schedule and my health issues we are pretty far behind in having the gardens in order for the picnic. So Instead of lounging with all of you at Cam's we will be laboring here.

Aspenhill, We will make arrangements to pick up our Fall Order at a later date. Thanks to you and Critter for all the hard work you have put into this Co-op.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Bummer. You will be missed, but understand totally. Don't overdo it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Trying to get as much done as possible without injuring myself. I sure don't want to be laid up for a couple of weeks like last time.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh no, we will miss you guys!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, can I have a sampling of your Christmas cactus?

We'll miss you! I saw your post on ATP and was wondering how you were managing to do both. Hosting 50 people! Good luck with all the prep work!

See you at the seed swap!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL SSG, I think I can do it all but then reality sets in......

So sorry, Holly--we'll miss you and Ric! :-(
Take care of yourself, and good luck with the garden party!!

We'll miss you guys too but yes please do what's best for YOU. I'm sure everyone will enjoy your house and it does NOT have to be perfect!. Had a great time once in a house that was half taped drywall inside, huge party.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly and Ric----
OH, MY!!! I cannot imagine a swap without you Guys!
I understand! You are ALWAYS on the go-go-go----sometimes you
have to cull something off your schedule.

Have you a Plant Fairy in mind? Someone who could deliver your requested
plants to you? Who is the closest to you?

Aspen---
SURE! Be glad to send you a "Rainbow Sampler" of some CC's.
They will be the size that they "may" bloom for you this fall--and some may not.
Most are in 4" pots...They have all been outside since spring--on some plant stands
by my front door. Bright shade! Clay pots aew good--as you cannot over water.

Leave them outside for a couple weeks after you get temps in the mid-hi 40's.
Mind that they need dark to set bloom. So--no lights during the night.

Usually, mine all have bloom buds on every tip by the time I bring them in.
They will bloom when they are ready. After they have bloomed--they need
a rest period of about 6 weeks. Refrain from watering them during this time.
zzzzzzzzzzzz,,,time for them!
After bloo --it is also a good time to take cuttings to propagate.
A single, plump segment can grow to blooming in 2 years--if they are healthy .

Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh, so is THAT how you get CCs to bloom?! Mine hasn't bloomed for years; I'll try putting it outside this year.

Holly and Ric, you will be missed!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, sounds like you and Ric have a lot to do. Enjoy and be safe in the garden!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--this may help you.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4622/

For years, we had JB on here who was the walking book on CC's.
She is no longer on DG--but she sure knew a lot. I learned much
of the care for CC's (Christnas cactus) from her.

Of course--you DO know that the usual CC we know is actually a Thanksgiving,
or Holiday cactus.
There IS a true Christmas cactus--as well as an Easter cactus.

The true Christmas cactus "leaves" have NO points on them. The "leaves"
are smaller and thinner--and the blooms hang straight down--NOT pointing up
as the Thanksgiving cactus.

I have all of these.

--1--Here is a typical Holiday cactus--blooms pointing UP.

--2--3 This is a true Christmas cactus--slim sections and blooms pointing straight down.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

S truncata and S x buckleyi
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Schlumbergera

Buckleyi the pointing down bloom, have rounded lobes on the segments, like the rounded side of a capital B

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.