transplanting - to fertilize or not to fertilize?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I will be moving some cannas in the next few days. I am wondering if I should fertilize them at all after the move or if it is too late in the year.

I have some of the MG starter solution and I have Vigoro liquid 10-10-10.

Thanks for your help.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I forgot to say:

Our normal first frost date is Nov. 1, but it can come as early as Oct. 15.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

This is my first bloom for the year and soon I will have to bring my plant in for the winter.

Thumbnail by cytf
Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

That is gorgeous! Such an intense yellow. I haven't had any blooms for years bcs mine are too shaded.

Their first location was in full sun around where the air conditioner drains. They loved all that sun and water but were in the way whenever I had the ac/heat maintained. Also, nobody saw them in that location (except the repairmen, lol).

So I moved them to where they could be seen and for a few years it was fine. But the shade started encroaching and the blooms stopped.

Now they're going to a 3rd spot that is full sun and lots of water. 3 times is a charm, right?

What do you think abt fertilizing? I'm leaning towards not.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

They are so vigorous w/o fertilizer. Seems better used w/other plants

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

vossner, thanks so much for your answer. I transplanted them several days ago and ended up using some half strength starter solution. I just thought the roots might need a little help.

Later, I checked my bottle of rooting hormone and it said it could be used for transplanting. Maybe that would have been a better choice?

Either way, I'll try it without anything (except some compost) next time.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Hi firstyard , I researched the planting and growing tips and it states feed with Plant Tone in spring and I did. And to keep it near to the fence , which I did for most ot the time . I planted it in a container , because I will have to bring it it for winter.Hope this helps . I did have trouble in the past with them blooming for me

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, cytf, I will definitely feed in the Spring.

Will like to know what were the best results in saving Canna lilies in zone 6,I tried cutting back the withered leaves and bringing in the whole container in the basement but only had one year of good results,Someone told me about putting the tubers in the brown bags and storing them in the basement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.