need opinion from someone with good artistic eye

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

This question is part of another thread I started, but it occurs to me it is actually a design question. I have to replace a shrub that died. It will be planted in between a hydrangea abt 4 ft tall and a nandina abt 7 or 8 ft. tall. The hydrangea will be 6" to a foot taller in abt a year.

My question is, should the new shrub be taller or shorter than the hydrangea? what height would look best?

I do not have much width to work with - only 2 1/2' - so I may not even be able to use a shrub. Maybe a perennial with winter interest (don't want a hole come winter). A larger potted plant than is in the picture? I'm just not good with design and need an opinion from someone who is.*** Mainly I need to know the best height for whatever I put in there.***

The 3 pics show the garden from 3 distances. The new plant will go where the potted plant is. There's an Acuba on the end that you can't see. It's supposed to balance out the tall nandina on the other end (I hope). Under each of the 2 big windows is a hydrangea. In between the 2 hydrangeas is a mahonia that is supposed to be much taller - it was, until a sheet of snow/ice falling off the roof almost split it in half.

Thumbnail by firstyard Thumbnail by firstyard Thumbnail by firstyard
This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!