WANTED (desperately) Dutch Iris 'Delft Blue'

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I grew these lovely little bulbs years ago when I lived in Ohio. They reminded me of old-fashioned handkerchiefs with blue embroidery.

I now live in Washington state and have not been able to find them anywhere in the US. If anybody knows of a source, I would love to purchase or trade for them.

Thank you so much!

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wish I had a source for you.. I do know that the more readily available 'Katherine Hodgkin' has a similar "embroidered" look, although it's a little more grey in tone, to the point where it would disappear against "natural" colored mulch. (But it would be great in a container.)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for responding, Critterologist. "Katherine Hodgkin" is a very pretty reticulata iris and I am fond of those types of irises as well. In fact, I don't think I have ever met an iris I didn't like. But 'Delft Blue', being a Dutch iris, really stood out and had such a "wow" factor. I just checked my records and I had bought it in 2005 at a local Ohio hardware store that had a small but spectacular nursery section.

Last winter my garden club had a speaker from a Canadian bulb importer/wholesaler who was familiar with that variety. She agreed that it was beautiful and thought it was still available somewhere but her company no longer offered it. Sigh.....I guess I will just keep hoping........

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I like the taller Dutch irises also... really should grow more of them! I have Eye of the Tiger growing near Salvia Caradonna, and it's a perfect color echo.

I'll keep my eye out, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.