What is the secret abt sizes?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I know there are a lot of factors that determine the height of a mature plant. But, somehow, growers, sellers and informational websites come up with a stated height and spread of a plant. I recently spent hours and hours researching hosta sizes to design a new garden. Stated heights for the exact same cultivar varied by up to 2 ft.!

For example, the stated heights for Sugar and Cream range from 10" to over 2 1/2'!! At first I thought the 10" height might be the current height of the plant being sold but I saw it somewhere else as the mature height. For Halcyon, I found 1' to 3'. With this kind of data, how does anyone design those perfect gardens I see so many pics of where the perfect height is in the perfect place?

I don't even need perfect. I just don't want to put a hosta that will grow to 20" in front of a hosta that's going to top out at 10".

What is the secret to planting them in the right spot? Are the heights given by the AHS reliable?

Wyoming, MN

At least for Sugar and Cream I have never seen one at the taller end the 10" seems about right. Perhaps the other taller measurement is for flower scapes?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Hostages, I bet you're right!! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.