Please Help Me Save My Crassula Gollum

Woodstock, MD

I wrote several months back on my Crassula Gollum plant and received very helpful info that gave life back to my plant, and I must say it was doing well and looked awesome. About two months ago I moved and since then I my plant has went downhill. The branches are soft and some are falling off. Please help me save my plant.

Thumbnail by Plantloverdeb Thumbnail by Plantloverdeb Thumbnail by Plantloverdeb
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

the Plant could be suffering from re-location shock, when you move house, city (new temps and light) or just move the plant to another room can disturb the plants system of behaviour and needs.

Check the plant over with gusto to see IF there are any bugs, use a spyglass as some sap sucking bugs are so tiny they are almost invisible to the naked eyes. Once identified look for the safest way to get rid of the bugs.

Check the soil, by removing the plant from the pot and over a tray or newspaper gently shake or with fingers, remove the soil and search for any bugs that are chewing the roots, if there are bugs, crush them and renew the soi,
Make sure it is a soil specially for plants that require free drainage as your plant does not like wet / damp soil so when you water, after an hour, pour away all the water left in the saucer.

Lastly, ask yourself what is different between the growing conditions you had in your last place and NOW what is different, it may be the light, draft from doors / cooling system / heat like too close to a gas furnace where there are fumes, is it on a window getting cooked from too much direct sun through a glass window, how long was the plant in storage container IF any before you unpacked it, all those things are areas to think about, as plants very rarely instantly drop branches / leaves etc, they normally are under stress for several weeks before you see the symptoms that have shown up now, so think back to the start of your move and try recall what you changed (other than new site it is in now) then perhaps you will find the answers and be able to correct the growing conditions. these type of plants normally thrive on neglect like lack of watering and good light for longer periods compared to other plants, so the recovery might take as long as the illness if you follow what I mean BUT with giving the same conditions you used before the move, you should see some improvements within a week, even IF it means no further leaf or branches dropping.
Give little water as too much all at one time will drown a stressed out plant AND DON'T feed it, that will only give more stress as the plant has already began to shut down from the roots upwards, so little water IF you finger test the soil and find it is tooooo dry.

Hope this helps you out and the plant recovers before the shorter days arrive.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

the Plant could be suffering from re-location shock, when you move house, city (new temps and light) or just move the plant to another room can disturb the plants system of behaviour and needs.

Check the plant over with gusto to see IF there are any bugs, use a spyglass as some sap sucking bugs are so tiny they are almost invisible to the naked eyes. Once identified look for the safest way to get rid of the bugs.

Check the soil, by removing the plant from the pot and over a tray or newspaper gently shake or with fingers, remove the soil and search for any bugs that are chewing the roots, if there are bugs, crush them and renew the soi,
Make sure it is a soil specially for plants that require free drainage as your plant does not like wet / damp soil so when you water, after an hour, pour away all the water left in the saucer.

Lastly, ask yourself what is different between the growing conditions you had in your last place and NOW what is different, it may be the light, draft from doors / cooling system / heat like too close to a gas furnace where there are fumes, is it on a window getting cooked from too much direct sun through a glass window, how long was the plant in storage container IF any before you unpacked it, all those things are areas to think about, as plants very rarely instantly drop branches / leaves etc, they normally are under stress for several weeks before you see the symptoms that have shown up now, so think back to the start of your move and try recall what you changed (other than new site it is in now) then perhaps you will find the answers and be able to correct the growing conditions. these type of plants normally thrive on neglect like lack of watering and good light for longer periods compared to other plants, so the recovery might take as long as the illness if you follow what I mean BUT with giving the same conditions you used before the move, you should see some improvements within a week, even IF it means no further leaf or branches dropping.
Give little water as too much all at one time will drown a stressed out plant AND DON'T feed it, that will only give more stress as the plant has already began to shut down from the roots upwards, so little water IF you finger test the soil and find it is tooooo dry.

Hope this helps you out and the plant recovers before the shorter days arrive.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

By chance are you seeing any webbing on your plant?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a similar Jade plant (Hobbit or Gollum I can't recall), that had what I think was a similar problem a year or two ago. When I magnify your photo I see whitish stuff where the leaves or branches have fallen off, and some shriveled leaves still attached that are grey or whitish powdery colored. When I inspected my plant closely, I could not really tell if it was just mealy bugs, or a fungus. I thought it was likely both (mealy bugs supplied a portal of entry for fungus).
I sprayed with Azamax to kill live mealy bugs, just one time. Then I put Bonide Systemic insect control granules on the potting soil, and also used a systemic fungicide (Bonide Rose Rx Systemic drench) which I poured on the soil. I was very very careful to water very little. The plant has recovered. Over about a year it lost all the affected leaves, and the new ones grew out just fine.
I don't like spraying houseplants, as I don't like the stuff in the air, but the systemic granules seem reasonable as it is absorbed by the roots, and any bug gets just one last meal.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I see the whitish stuff too, but I thought it was just me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.