landscape area near basement

Bellmore, NY

Hi Everyone,
I have a small area near my central air unit that it seems is the main issue every time I take we get a heavy heavy rainfall. It comes right into the basement around this area. About a year ago I put down a big blue tarp in that area and besides a puddle or two it seems to be a lot better. The theory was that the rain would hit the tarp and roll right off. I have also put extra dirt there to make sure it slopes away from foundation

The tarp helps but looks awful. Any suggestions? I thought of maybe leaving the tarp there and just burying dirt over it and eventually seeding for grass? Maybe leaving the tarp there and put a few big pavers over it to make it nicer looking. I dont want water in the basement but the tarp looks awful. Here is a picture of the area. Thank you in advance

Thumbnail by k23ms
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I would not keep playing around with half-measures.
Get a professional out there and look into installing a proper drainage system.
This might include a sump pump system as a back up, or it might be part of the main drain.

Is there, on your property, an area that is lower than the basement? Are you on a hill? Is the street lower than the floor of the basement?

If yes, then it may be possible to design a drainage system that will flow via gravity, to greatly reduce the water in the basement. Combined with properly sealing the exterior of the structure (yes, dig out the soil against the outside of the basement walls) this would keep it dry.

If no, then you will need a sump pump to keep the area dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.