Dwarf Wheeler Pittosporum

Temple, TX

Hello,
I have about five Dwarf Wheeler Pittosporum plants. All of them are mature and were doing so well. I was on vacation for a week or so and when I came back I saw of each of them is plant 90% dead. The dead leaves are crunchy and the corresponding stems are dried too. Sprinkler system was on auto run schedule during my absence. I do not see any type of infestation except very mild mealy bug dead infestation. Does anyone has same problem? Could anyone share some tips?
Thanks,
Archana

Thumbnail by vinarch75 Thumbnail by vinarch75
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you see any webbing? Even if you don't it could be mites, specifically Spider Mites. They are a big problem in Texas, it surprising how fast they can dry up a plant.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Get a close picture of the green foliage. If it has spider mites there will be little specks of yellow (punctures where the mites have been feeding) and black (frass). The more intense the infestation, the denser the speckling, to the point that the whole leave could be affected.

Did you check to see if the soil is moist? And that the sprinklers actually ran?

Also, look near the base of each plant. Is the bark intact? Or has something nibbled it off all around the plant?

This message was edited Aug 30, 2015 1:17 PM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

The mites I'm talking about are nearly if not microscopic. I have them every year and have never seen frass or punctures,,,,the mites are so small and their poop would be smaller. They are very common in Texas where it is hot, dry and dusty. I have seen punctures from stink bugs but never mites. The first sign of them is mottled leaves. I've never heard them discribed another way whether on here or by my extension agent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.