Patio Peach Problem

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Planted two years ago, has not blossomed yet, it probably got too wet last year, but this year has been relatively dry.

There is a clear, gelatinous fungus on the terminus of each branch. Is it curtains for the pet peach?

Thumbnail by iowhen Thumbnail by iowhen
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Except for the disgusting gelatin, which might be sap, the leaves look healthy. I haven't seen this problem before - if the gelatin was orange, or had frass, I could help you.
I suggest contacting your county extension agent and find out what problems are in your area right now. If you do not have an extension service where you are, contact your state agricultural college.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks! Yes, the leaves do look fine. At this point the ones that were affected just look brown, the "gelatin" is gone, and no other parts of the plant look weak or like it has spread. It has not bloomed in the two years I've had it.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Did it have new growth this year? That is where next springs flower buds will be.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I did not get feedback about the "gel" but they told me to check the base of the trunk for borers. Sure enough, they are in there. So I think I'm going to cut my losses, and not buy any more bargains from Lowe's!

Does anyone know whether peach borers will affect other trees or shrubs? I've got some rhodies in a bed adjacent to where the patio peach is, and a new cherry tree in the back yard, separated by a garage and some pavement.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

They only attack peaches and close relatives like nectarines and apricots, occasionally plums. Usually not cherries but check the cherry just in case. They are an unusual borer in that they are the larva of a moth, not a beetle. They lay eggs the crevices in the bark where it transitions from root to trunk. Usual treatment is latex paint to seal the crevices. Since it is a moth, I have tried Bt but I am not sure if it worked, probably needs to be applied in June (moths emerge June-ish and lay eggs July-ish) June is a good time to squish the emerging cocoons, but the damage to the tree is already done. I wouldn't be too quick to blame Lowe's - they could have flown in anytime from anywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.