Florida Native Plant seeds

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have any web sites that they could share for a source to purchase FL Native seeds from

Sorry but due to Fl regulations can't purchase seeds fr out of state

Thanks for any help for locating FL seed companies

Jan

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Maybe the folks at the FL Native Plant Society could give you a lead.
http://www.fnps.org/

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Floridawildflowers.Com is a good seed source for native flowers. I've purchased from them before.
Flawildflowers.org has some good info on growing and such.
Hope this helps. :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks, I've purchased from them, and their selection is very limited just looking to expand.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan, I'm curious about you saying can't purchase seeds from out of state. I was unaware there was any such regulations and have purchased seeds from other states and traded before.

I do it all the time also. I've never heard of a law against it unless it is dealing with invasive plants. Can you please let us know where you heard about this law? If you buy flower seed packets at a store, those are not Florida seeds.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sorry to be so long in getting back here, yes while I was going through my master gardener training, they really stressed about not bringing in plants and no seeds unless you have them inspected first by UF.

I'll look for the publication and how to go about getting seeds in. Now I serious doubt that the box stores have gotten the seeds inspected, but you learn so much about all the invasive insects that came in on plants and seeds, as well as invasive plant parts hitching a ride to our beautiful state through the shipping/receiving ports in the state.

I asked them why don't they regulate it better, you guessed it, no money in the budget, and way short of qualified personnel to perform the inspections.

Jan

Very interesting, I've ordered seeds from out of state and do see some states they can't send to, but FL isn't one of them. You'd think that FL would be listed if this was the case. If you can find the publication or a link, do please post it.

This sounds more like the shady companies and those based outside of the USA. For us floridians we see the consequences every day of invasive species. From the poisonous toads, green iguanas, kudzu vines, monkeys (in John U Lloyd state park), African giant land snails, snakehead fish, etc, etc, etc... that are wrecking havoc on Florida.
I think if we are responsible gardeners and buy from responsible seed companies that takes a lot of risk out of buying seed though.
If you haven't seen, there are sellers on ebay, amazon, etc who are based out of Asia, Africa, South America where there is no regulation at all. Who knows what you are getting with that ziplock bag of "marigold seeds".
For about 2 years now I've been trying to have mainly native flowers in my flower garden, some seed I get through Florida companies and some I don't.

I have had great luck with seeds from Onalee, but not so much with the FL Native plant society, in fact nothing form them has produced for me. But that could be my fault..I'm not so great with seeds. I do better with actual plants and buy from the native plant sales, I've tried lots of natives with no luck, but do have many that do well in my garden.

I've never purchased seeds from Ebay or Amazon, would be too leery of that. Most of my plant seeds are trades with local gardeners. I only purchased vegetable seeds from USA companies, never any plant seeds.

Dragunov, I do a lot of hiking and it bothers me so much to see all the invasive plants taking over our beautiful native foliage. When I moved into this home twenty years ago the previous owner had lots of invasive plants in the garden, and it has taken me years to eradicate many of them.

I know exactly what you mean. When I moved into my house let's just say it needed a lot of work. And a lot of that was a yard overgrown with invasive plants. (Curse those kudzu vines!) I love the outdoors and I hate seeing what invasive plants and animals are doing to native Florida. Even the green anole lizards. When I got to Florida as a teenager they were plentiful. But the larger and more aggressive (and uglier) brown anoles are the only ones I ever see anymore because they drove the green ones out. It's sad. And that's just one of many examples.
I don't think it's your skill when it comes to the Florida native plant seed website. I grow almost everything I have from seed and I've had nothing but bad luck with their seed. I'd say it's as low as 25 or 30 percent of their seed actually germinated for me. That extremely low but my desire to have native flowers made me buy from them too many times. Lol.

Good to know about the seeds, I've even harvested a few myself and the only I've had luck with is Gaillardia pulchella, Salvia coccinea, Erythrina herbacea and Rudbeckia hirta. I have tried many native plants from the plant sales, some are still going strong and some just died out. Natives can be tricky in the landscape. A few natives were brought by birds, like Beautyberry and pokeweed. Of course I have best luck with the Florida friendly plants.

I do miss my green anoles, I used to have so many in my garden, I rarely see them now. I was amazed when we were down in the Keys last May at the huge iguanas on the sidewalk sunning themselves. We don't have those up here thank goodness.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello ladies, I've got a call in to the extension where I first heard about the guidelines. I've talked with several other extension office horticulturist who look at me like my eyes just fell out of my head.

I still searching UF site trying to find something out about this, even called UF entomology department to find out, and the secretary didn't know anything about it, and neither did she bother to take my name and number and try to forward my request to anyone...

So as soon as I find or hear I'll post. Another one that I did talk with said that is was ok to purchase from the larger out of state companies as they have to go through regulations, so most likely not as high a chance of bringing something in you can't really see as when you purchase from small mom and pop places.

This said I'm not trying to say anything against mom and pop as before I moved back home they were my favorite places to shop, but when you live in a tropical environment, your thinking changes really fast about what damage I might do to my home state.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Those who are having problems with seed germination, have you (and please tell me you have) gone back to them and let them know how poorly their seed germ rate is?

If you don't let them know they can't fix it. I've got several seeds packs that I'm just getting ready to start and I hope I get a better germination. Will post and let ya know how they go.

Jan

"Ladies"? Am I in the wrong forum?

It is like I was saying. The bigger companies have a lot more to lose so they regulate better (although there are smaller companies that I would totally trust). I think it's more up to us to know our native flowers and be the responsible ones. But it is definitely a battle 24 / 7 against invasive species down here. And the further south you go, the worse it gets. It's sad that there are those of us who care more about Florida's native environment then UF and all. I'm disappointed that they could have cared less about helping you.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I've still not been able to track down the person, so now I feel like I have egg on my face for even saying anything, sorry folks.

I'm gonna keep researching and should some light be shined upon this I will most certainly share here.

Jan

Don't worry about it. You are saying what we are all concerned about anyway. Staying native and keeping florida natural. Whatever you find out or if you find a good place to find seed please let me know. :-)

Awww, Jan, you are a caring Floridian and no need to apologize. I am at least glad you brought it to our attention, another area to be careful of what you buy and plant in our soil.
It is good to know there are concerned citizens about our environment, you let us know if you find out anything.

I tried to look up info and it and all I came up with was info on planting marijuana seeds...LOL.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Jan, can you post a list of what you're looking for?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Dragunov, thanks. and sunkissed you two are so kind.

KayJones, I'm really looking for native to FL seeds within my home state, but I do appreciate you willingness to help me.

Jan

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well I've given up on being able to find the final word on this issue. Now I'm so sorry to have even spoken of it. But for my own peace of mind I will be only purchasing from within my state.

Jan

I'm glad you posted, since I had lost this thread. I did find this and it gives regulations of Plants. Hope it helps...
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Summary-of-Plant-Regulations

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

SUNKISSED you are my hero, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, perfect......you found what UF couldn't point me to.....

Just last week I was over at Leu Gardens in your area..... 30 years ago I lived in Winter Park, now I'm over on the west coast/central FL.

I have bookmarked that page...

Jan

Glad to help.
Winter Park has sure changed in the past 30 years. Leu Garden's has the big plant sale March 12th, it is Saturday only. It gets crowded and hard to park the later you go. Parking isn't that great, but a nice plant show.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

It just so happened I was off the Saturday of the Leu gardens plant sale. Got up early, even talked my neighbor into going with me, and neither of us are morning people...LOL ended up parking just a few blocks away and had a great time. Picked up a few native plants, as well as some succulents. Afterwards went and stopped in at a nursery that is a 4 blocks from the gardens, great little nursery.

This year the sale was two days Sat and Sun.

I know that little nursery off Corrine drive. I used to go there often when my Aunt was alive, she lived just down the street. Very friendly folks there and usually pretty decent plant supply.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm so in love with the yellow trumpet tree that is in bloom right now. They had a 15+ footer one that was beautiful specimen tree for 65.00 this was when I missed having my pickup truck cause I would have hauled that tree home for sure...LOL

The people were great prices very reasonable, and lovely display of plants to drool over.

I do like seeing the yellow trees all over, too bad the flowers don't last longer. I like how the pink orchid trees bloom around the same time. Then add in all the azaleas and everything looks like Spring.

Okay, maybe you can help me out. I have a veggie garden and also a flower garden. I try to keep it native. My question is what are they best bee friendly flowers / plants for south florida? I'm trying to do whatever I can to help them out. I'm actually getting worried because I almost never see them around my gardens anymore....

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Dragunov79, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to answer you, my subscription expired and I'm now back on. Have you found any sources yet? If not let me know, as I know of some and will post links.

Not really. Any info you have would be appreciated :-)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Dragunov79 I sent you a PM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ya, for those interested I'm working on creating a FB page that will be only for trading Florida native seeds. If anyone is interested just send me a message and I'll make sure to let you know when it is up and going.

Sumterville, FL(Zone 9a)

If you are still looking for Fla native seed online sellers here is one Pine Forest Fruit & Flower Farms in Ft Myers

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you 12native34

Do they sell mail order seeds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.