Tips for potting up dragon fruit

Forest Grove, OR

Hi everyone,
I live in zone 8b (Oregon) and am growing dragonfruit. Don't ask me why :)

I have 3 varieties. Edgar, American beauty, and Neitzel. They are in 1 gallon pots and doing pretty well. I plan on bringing them in at the end of summer to my indoor grow space. Before that I'm going to transplant them into two 10 gallon pots. Should I combine a few plants into one pot? Any suggestions on potting these up and getting them through the winter?

Thumbnail by bherder
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are small enough to combine into a single large pot. I would make sure the potting soil has really good drainage.

Guildford, United Kingdom

Thanks for this info.. I am going to grow some of these.. or try anyway!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Combine if you want but maybe consider a smaller pot up front, it will probably not be full by the start of next summer, which would be a good time to revisit the issue. Use a nice loose well draining mix and provide as much light indoors as possible. The dark Oregon winter is going to be hard on these plants and it's important not to overwater during this period.

Also bear in mind that they like to climb and do better when they have something to climb on. This only becomes relevant when they get bigger (next summer probably).

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.