Picking the right flowers since i am a beginner in gardening

Natick, MA

Hi, i am a beginner at gardening and am from natick, ma. I would like to plant few perennial flowers for my garden. I had read a little bit about perennial flowers online and have picked up the flowers to plant. However, i am unsure if i picked the right one since i am looking for flowers that require least maintenance but blooms during different seasons. It will be very helpful if i can get some advice on the following flowers :
Bleeding heart, knockout rose,( dark pin and red) , helenium.. Thanks!

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Miya1, welcome to daves Gardening site, AND your new found hobby of Gardening, I know your going to have a fab time here and ask any questions you want to regarding gardening, please dont think there are any questions that may sound silly, questions are asked because we really DONT know the answers.

Regarding the plants you have selected, these all require different conditions, the Bleeding heart needs a free draining soil in good light BUT NOT blazing sun and it grows and flowers between March-April depending on where you live.

Knockout Roses I'm sorry but we dont grow these here OR maybe we do but, called a different type, but IF these are true Roses, then they require rick humus addeded soil with good sunlight BUT not full blazing sun all day.

Helium is much the same as the Roses BUT may NOT require such a rich humud adition to the soil.

My advice for any beginner is to go to the book store or local library and seek out any books specially for beginners, these will help with soil prep, temps, and how to prepare your planting area, watering and what requires dryer soil.
Make sure you have a read at any book you want to buy, some are very technical and more suited to the coffee table as an ornament that for novice gardeners.
On my visits to USA I always head to the book stores as they books cost much less than UK, paperbacks are better, less expense and easy to carry about the garden.
Hope this helps you a little and you get much pleasure from your new garden.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.