Two new plants to me

Downingtown, PA

I just recently discovered Yellow Wingstem, Verbesina alternifolia, with yellow flowers and rough foliage and Canada Horse-Balm or Richweed, Collinsonia Canadensis, with hydrangea-like leaves and tiny yellowish flowers, wild in land preserves here in se PA.

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice photos, and I'm glad to hear that Verbesina alternifolia is doing well because I planted lots of seedlings along the creek earlier this summer!

Downingtown, PA

Another native perennial I know that deer don't eat is the Big Blue Lobelia because a client of mine has lots and the deer that enter her yard never eat those.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, there's actually a Blue Lobelia growing near the creek, probably from one of the hundreds of seeds that I sowed. I was so excited to see it!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The Lobelia was missing its main flower spike when I looked today...something (I suspect deer although it could possibly have been a 2-legged flower picker) snapped it off. There are side flower spikes that'll produce seeds, but still...it was so disappointing!

Downingtown, PA

Sad! If you plant some plants they self-sow a lot if they like the area. Here are a few shot of mine, starting with a white one

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice, Rick! What is the plant to the left in the last photo? It reminds me of Eryngium yuccifolium.

Downingtown, PA

Just two little Variegated Bearded Iris planted there at College of Du Page in northeast Illinois

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.