raising squash

Denton, TX

Has any of you tried raising "tatume, or calabacita squash"? I have studied up a lot about this squash that is very popular in mexico, and will tolerate hot temps better than our standard varities here in north texas, they also are resistant to the squash vine borer which will kill a vine very quickly. The seed are kind of hard to find, but victory seed co among a few others have them. I am going to try raising this next year as the advantages over other squash is great. Any discussion on this appreciated thanks.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi 'redhound'. I'm a gardener from Al. I have grown a few calabash type of melons, but not familiar with "tatume". What sort of information is that you're seeking for specifically may I ask?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have not grown it either. It is one of those multipurpose squash like Trombocino which is used both as a summer and a winter squash. Takes up a lot of space as it is a rampant vine. It is a C. pepo but most growers state that it has resistance to SVB. Must be the only C. pepo that does. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/2010/jun/tatume.html many companies that feature heirlooms vend it including Baker Creek.

Cedar Park, TX

I'm growing tatume it for the first time this year in my fall garden. I actually planted the seeds in August and have a small group of small plants that have just started growing again when the weather dropped below 100. Don't know how it will produce yet, but it did survive the hottest part of summer as a seedling plant with once weekly watering. No signs of insects or disease and all the leaves are a dark healthy green.

If you look at the customer reviews for this squash at Baker Creek Heirloom's web page, a whole lot of the positive reviews are from Texas. A lot of the reviewers gave good details on their growing experiences, too. That's what helped me decide to try it.

Casie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.