sad looking leaves

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

These are from a Chinese bottle gourd planted from seeds.
Brown, curled and ugly. The younger leaves at the top are fine.
The vine grows inches every day so there must be something going right.
They're in potting soil on a balcony in Hong Kong.
I'm new to this. Any suggestions of the problem?
thanks.
c.

Thumbnail by clarke88 Thumbnail by clarke88
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It appears that the pot is small for the plant and so the plant is struggling. It is dropping old leaves in favor for new because there isn't enough inground nutrition or space to sustain such a plant. I would think you would need a pot at least 18" in diameter and equally deep (50 or more cms.)

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
It appears that the pot is small for the plant and so the plant is struggling. It is dropping old leaves in favor for new because there isn't enough inground nutrition or space to sustain such a plant. I would think you would need a pot at least 18" in diameter and equally deep (50 or more cms.)

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.
c.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Your post caught my attention because my Chinese godfather was from Hong Kong via Canton. Very envious of your Asian experience.

If you post more information about your situation recommendations for a future balcony garden can be made. IMO including a growing zone is helpful as well as adding descriptives regarding what the seasons are like and your exposure. Certain vegetables will do better in pots than others while lending an aesthetic to your limited space. The more information you share the more expertise people can lend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.