Needing Guidence in plants out of the ground too long

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, I received some hostas in the mail. The problem: they were sent 2 day priority mail but it took 11 days for them to get here. A couple of them had roots that were pretty dried out, but after soaking, they are pliable now. Two hostas are fairly large. The leaves have completely yellowed and, in one case, had turned semi- slimy. I have removed any plant material that was turning slimy.

I really want to save these plants. Can I cut back the leaves that were bent/broken and or yellow? Someone is coming over in a couple hours to plant them for me. I just want to make sure that I can give these the best chance possible. They will be planted on the north side of the house, in semi shade. Thank you for your help. Patti

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Patti,

I would plant them as is. What have you got to loose? When I have a plant that is not doing the greatest, I put it on a pot first. I keep the pot somewhere where I can check on it every day and give it the water, sun, or shade it needs. Then when it is happier, I find a home for it in my garden.

I received three hosta from a friend and in order to get them to fit in the box, she had to cut off all the leaves. Guess what? The leave have since grown back and the plants are doing wonderfully.

Good luck!
Jennifer

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Thank you Jennifer. This makes me feel much better!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hostas are pretty hardy. As long as the roots didn't rot, they will probably be OK next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.