Clematis integrifolia? Will it ever flower?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

About 4 years ago I started some seeds that were supposed to be clematis integrifolia, and may very well be. Each year it's grown a little taller than the last year and each of 3 plants are now about 1 1/2 feet long. The problem is that none have flowered. Does it take years to flower or haven't I provided something that it needs? The leaves look healthy.

Any info appreciated.

Athens, PA

Hi Sharon

I hope this finds you well. I have a number of the integrifolia and, although with the exception of 1, they were all plants when I bought them. They all produced a flower the year after I put them in with the exception of 1 or 2 plants putting out a flower the year of purchase.

The 1 that is the exception, was a plant that was started from seed by a fellow trader. She had bought seeds from Swallowtail Gardens and they are Mongolian Bells. These flowered for me this past year and this is their third season.

Are your's in full sun? Do you know if they are group 3 and die back to the ground every winter? Do you know the name of your plant?

Take care.
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn. Good to hear from you. I'm doing okay and the h.Georgia peach that you brought me is thriving. Do come by again if you're back in Boston. The garden is ever-evolving and I'm always trying new plants. Hope things are well with you.

My plants get a fair amount of sun, but I wouldn't quite call it full sun. They're in a large planter box that holds mostly alpines, so are in a soil/sand mix, so maybe the soil isn't rich enough for them, but I really don't have anywhere else to put them. I believe they're the species, not a cultivar, and do die back in winter. Maybe I should give them some fertilizer and another year to see if they bloom. Do you fertilize yours, and if so, what do you use?

Athens, PA

Sharon

I use a good rose fertilizer that I mix into the soil early - about April. Mine die back to the ground as well. I do think they do better in full sun.

Wish I could get to Boston. It's been some time since we have been up that way. I do love Boston.

Thanks, Carolyn. I'll give the fertilizer a try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.