Peach grown from seed

Astoria, NY(Zone 7b)

Hello All! I grew a small peach "tree" from a local seed and it's doing really well. My question is this - Will I need to prune it anytime soon, or, as it is so small should I let it keep growing as it would like for a number of years? Do you think it will ever fruit? It is about 1.5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by Just_Jen
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Peaches are often grown on a tree that has been pruned fairly early so it produces several branches that start low (18"-24" off the ground) then these are trained into scaffold limbs so they spread out and up is a sort of wide V shape.
They are also grown on a tree with a single trunk for a bit higher before encouraging branching.

What ever height you want the branching to start, prune it there. Just pinch off the top inch or two.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Is there supposed to be a peach tree in that sideways photo?

Fruit trees take a lot of maintenance, fertilizing, watering, pruning, and spraying. It may be years to see any fruit so have plenty of patience. And your tree may not produce very good fruit as well - that is why most named varieties are grafted to insure you are getting what you pay for.

Try YouTube for videos giving advice on training fruit trees.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=training+peach+trees

Astoria, NY(Zone 7b)

Yes, it was a horrible picture! It looks like my little tree survived the winter. It is very 'Y' shaped, but the 'V' portion starts low to the ground. Maybe 5" from it? I'm on the fence about if I should make one leader or if I should just let it grow for another season before pruning. Any insight?

In general, this is more of an experiment in growing the tree from a seed - I have no particular worries if it never fruits or isn't as tasty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.