Will mandevilla come back

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I am "babysitting" some plants for my son and daughter-in-law during their move from Pennsylvania to San Diego. I live in the Phoenix area. Most of the plants they brought here are doing ok but I am very concerned about the Mandevilla. Originally I had in on the back patio in the full sun (southern exposure) but leaves began browning and curling. So then I moved it to the other side of the post (facing inside the patio) where it got sun only in the late afternoon but it looked even worse. Then moved it so it would just get morning sun and still leaves are burned up and wilting.

I just now moved it to the patio, back against the house and get just a little morning sun.
At this point most leaves are dry brittle and falling off. The green leaves look all wilted.
I am watering it regularly. Anyone with Mandevilla experience in this area and know if it will it come back? Maybe I should try to find a replacement ;-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

It's me again, Dmwade. I've been gardening here for over 30 years and I have never being able to over summer the Mandevilla. . It is too hot for them. If you find the right spot with just some morning sun and good well draining soil it might survive like my hydrangea is doing well for many years.
Good luck.

Rodica

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks again. I think I will start looking for another one that I can add into the pot. It might have better luck in my courtyard.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

They don't grow here except as a winter/spring perennial.. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to prevent their inevitable suicide.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.