Love these Helianthus

(Zone 4b)

The "dahlia" like flowers are Sunshine Daydream and the other one is Happy Days helianthus.

They are each over 5 feet in height and that is with a prune earlier in the season!
(They are too tall for their location and so I will be much more severe next season).

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Natick, MA

Ooooooop, they r gorgeous!
Would you consider sharing some seeds in the fall for a SASE?

Rouge, you have so many gorgeous flowers...I always enjoy seeing your posts and pix!!

(Zone 4b)

Thank you valal. I only post pics of my best. I have lots of 'so sos' and failures :(.

Natick, MA

OH, so THAT's why everything looks magnifiicent! HA HA! You are TOO funny!
You have alot of wonderful looking plants! I think we all have ones that struggle but not so sure how many are in your garden!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is Helianthus 'Lemon Queen', also cut back in May.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

This Helianthus I am not sure of cultivar, I planted both 'Lemon Yellow' and 'Dakota Queen', only one survived.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Natick, MA

Pistil,
So pretty! They look like shrubs!!

They are bigger than most of my shrubs, even with cutting back in spring! Here in Slugland they are hard to get established, the slugs target the new spring growth and don't really even let them emerge. But I found just a bit of early baiting the first couple of years, then once they are established they grow so quick in the spring even a family of slugs doesn't stop them, now I don't do any slug-baiting. Once they are up even 6 inches, the growth is no longer eatable by the slugs.

(Zone 4b)

Here is this same "Sunshine Daydream" plant several weeks later.

(Too big for me!)

Thumbnail by rouge21
(Zone 4b)

Pistil, I was thinking of you and your LQ when I saw one of ours today. This is a second year LQ that has grown very quickly this season.

Here it is as of today.

I purposely didnt cut it back earlier this season as it needed to compete with lots of tall thistles and raspberry canes...don't ask ;).

Do you have pictures of your LQ?

Thumbnail by rouge21
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm enjoying your Helianthus pictures.

To the best of my knowledge this also is a Helianthus. Just not sure which one, as it was given to me in a little clump of dirt a few years back. A really wimpy little start. I kept it in the shade for a year or so then decided it needed sun. Indeed it did. It doesn't spread by seed, but by root. All the abundance of rain we had this June/July caused it to flop with all the heavy blooms, so I ended up cutting it back to about 8 inches. It gets about 8 or so feet tall.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
(Zone 4b)

'Brenda', that is a very impressive stand! You are fortunate to have the space to let it do its thing....gorgeous.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks and yes I am fortunate to have the space.

I really like the bloom on your the Helianthus picture post of the "Sunshine Daydream".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.