Bronze Scuppernong Jelly

Baker, FL

I have arthritis in my hands and cannot do many of the tasks associated with processing this grape due to the very tough skins soooo . . . got a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth juicer and processed the grapes thru it. Good rough pulp and lots of juice. Considering that Great-Granny did not have a juicer, and had to work with what she had, I would like to know if it is necessary to recombine the pulp & juice to cook, then go thru the whole draining process with a jelly bag? Or can I simply use the juice to make the jelly? All the recipes I've found are for the traditional methods with jelly bags, etc., the way things have been done forever.
My concern is whether or not there is something in cooking the skins that contributes to the process or is the preliminary cooking/draining simply a method to soften and break up the skins to release pulp and juice. I have thought about microwaving the whole grapes to soften and help release the juice. I would appreciate any thoughts, help or ideas. I'm getting too old to re-invent the wheel!

PS: Why haven't any of our recipes been updated to fit with our current technology?

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!