Millersville Maryland Marsh flowers

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Some flowers from a marsh where we walk the dog. And berries for VV.

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg

I post the pictures and minimal text from my phone.
So I have to look up the pink one. Something Mallow? flowers no more than two inches across.
Nice bee on a Eupatorium, maybe serotinum
Yellow- Senna/Cassia? flowers like the Cassia marilandica I got from swap years ago
Flowers, what flowers?, yes we know grass has flowers
A HUGE Viburnum, must be thousands of berries on that sucker. So nice. Right by the water's edge

Any IDs are welcome

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Those yellow flowers are Partridge Pea and that viburnum looks like a V. dentatum; VV will be able to confirm. Pic one looks like it could be Kosteletzkya virginica. Nice pics Sally!

oh yeah, I read about partridge pea recently. Thanks for the IDs!
Yes, I also have a picture of the fruits, it matches
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=kovi

Also lots of regular marsh mallows, and a cardinal flower

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I bet that's a really pretty place. Almost makes me wish I owned a dog and walked him in Maryland. If it was me, I'd be using the dog as an excuse to go check out the flowers...Lol

Haha, I made sure the dog got a walk Saturday when I wanted to do more research on the Elephantopus there!
This area seems pretty native, but other places (parks!) where we walk are so invaded it's depressing.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I hear you. Most of the places nearby our house are loaded with invasives. Even the marsh areas I drive by are loaded too. The invasive Lythrum salicariais so pretty though...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos! It's good to see that there's a place on the East Coast that isn't overrun by stiltgrass.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for throwing me a "bone", sallyg. Great shot of the Viburnum.

It is certainly in the Viburnum dentatum - or relatives - clan. You could very well have something like V. rafinesquianum or V. recognitum, depending on their range.

You could collect a dozen leaves off a plant like that, and not believe that they belonged to the same species. This species is such a great fruiter when amply cross-pollinated. Birds just go nuts on all my hundreds of plants.

According to this site that Muddy clued me in to

http://www.marylandbiodiversity.com/viewSpecies.php?species=1520

sp rafinesquianum is not in my area, but dentatum and recognitum are and present across most of Maryland too.
Great fruiter, you bet, this thing and its siblings were loaded, head to toe.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Very nice link.

Now, I'll expect seed from all those provenances around which you habituate...

Marsh was pretty last week.

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Is that a coyote or your dog? Very pretty scenery indeed.

I guess you have not met Addy the black german shepard.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess not. Is that Mark with a cane?

Mark, with another stick to throw, in case naughty girl runs off and chews up the first one! She LOVES to fetch sticks from the water, not so much from land. When she tires a little, she comes back on land but avoids us, plops down and puts the 200# bite force to work on the stick.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a peaceful-looking place! Lemme guess, Addy's weekly bath is after these walks ; - )

Yes we do try to rinse her after this. The water is not bad looking, but another walker said we should.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...that sounds like fun Sally.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking that she would end up pretty muddy after her romp...

The water today was the lowest we have ever seen. Maybe low tiDE and a wind worked to expose a lot of mus.
.I walked down just a bit and found more persimmons. 6 or 8 small ones and momma tree.

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That looks like a really fun place to muck around in! I could get very Muddy there ; - )

haha, you should come with us sometime! I'd like to explore the marsh myself. Too bad there's no easy place to get a canoe/kayak in there. It's way too far to carry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.